janbooth

Default Marriage of John GOODCHILD at Potton 1732

John GOODCHILD was my 7 x great grandfather. He lived in Ashwell, Hertfordshire and together with his wife Eleanor had 7 children there and died there in 1791. He did not marry in Hertfordshire. There is an extracted record on the IGI of a marriage at Potton on 2 July 1732 of a John GOODCHILD and an Eleanor PARKIS which would fit in very well with a first child born in Ashwell in 1733. The Bedfordshire FHS Name Index does indeed show a marriage at Potton in 1732 of a John GOODCHILD but no corresponding entry for an Eleanor PARKIS and I can find no trace at all of an Eleanor PARKIS in the Name Index. Does anybody by any chance have the parish registers of Potton who could look up the marriage entry for John GOODCHILD and confirm the bride's name for me. I would be very grateful indeed.

Janet

davidcarca

The transcript shows Eleanor as WARBIS

David

janbooth

Thank you so much, David, that makes perfect sense as the surname is probably WARBOIS/WARBOYS of which there are a plethora in the Ashwell area and she probably already shows up in my Tree somewhere. Many, many thanks.

Janet

davidcarca

Hi Jan
    I have a Warbois family from Guilden Morden Cambs, the next village up from Ashwell Herts, in my tree. My 7xg grandfather was Thomas Warbois who married Mary Stern in GM in 1730 and baptised four children there. Like your Eleanor, his daughter Mary also married in Potton, and lived there thereafter. Don't know anything more about Thomas though. It's years since I looked at him, so must take another look!

When I was a boy and stuffed too much food into my mouth my parents always told me I'd have to go to Ashwell to get my mouth widened. No idea where this came from! But it's something all genealogists should know - Ashwell folks had wide mouths!

David

janbooth

Hi David,

Now that saying is totally new to me!! In case you do not have the Guilden Morden PR Transcripts, Thomas WARBOYS married Mary STERN on 20 May 1730 and both were of the parish. There is a baptism for a Thomas WARBOYS at Guilden Morden on 4 October 1702, father William, and a marriage on 26 September 1682 at Guilden Morden of a William WARBIS and an Ann DAY which could be relevant to you.

Burial on 7 August 1753 of a Peter WARBOYS son of Thomas & Mary, on 17 February 1756 of John WARBOYS son of Thomas & Mary and on 20 May 1762 Mary WARBOYS daughter of Thomas & Mary. Burial on 2 November 1783 of a Thomas WARBOY, Pauper, and on 7 August 1784 of a Mary WARBOYS, widow. I can't find a baptism for a Mary STERN (or variants) in Guilden Morden.

You may already have the transcripts in which case you can readily access the above information, but if not get back to me and I will try to trace the WARBOYS family further.

Janet