Titanicfan

Default Cork County Orphanages

Hi all

Can anyone please let me know where I can find details of orphanages in the county of Cork that existed between 1907-1920.

Thank you.

gasser

A Google search lists these Orphanages or industrial Schools in the area of Cork which could get you started:-
    St Colemans Industrial School for Girls, Cobh, Sisters of Mercy, Certified for 46 Children,Closed 1960.
    Our Lady of Mercy Industrial for Girls, Kinsale, Sisters of Mercy, Certified for 120 Children, Closed 1963.
    Mallow Industrial School for Girls, Sisters of Mercy, Certified for 60 Children, Remained open after 1970.
    St Finbarrs Industrial School for Giels, Sundays Wells, Cork City,Sisters of the Good Shepherd, Certified 172 Children, Remained open after 1970.
    St Aloysuis Industrial School for Girls, Clonakilty, Sisters of Mercy, Certified 130 Children, Closed in 1965.

Titanicfan

Thank you for the info. Gasser.

Unfortunately, I was trying to locate an orphanage in County Cork which boys resided in.

gasser

Some further found info relating to boys....
    Baltimore Fishery School for Senior Boys, Baltimore, Co. Cork
    St. Joseph’s Industrial School for Boys, Passage West, Co. Cork
    St. Joseph’s Industrial School for Senior Boys, Greenmount, Cork
    St. Patrick’s Industrial School for Boys, Upton, Cork

Titanicfan

Thank you for the information. Does anyone know how I search the 1911 Irish census with just the name of the orphanage?

Knowledgeable and helpful

You would need the street name or the electoral district to find it. Bear in mind also that the occupants may only be recorded under their initials, and not their names.
    ELWYN

Fluffyy

Default St, Colmans Industrial School in Cobh

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    A Google search lists these Orphanages or industrial Schools in the area of Cork which could get you started:-
    St Colemans Industrial School for Girls, Cobh, Sisters of Mercy, Certified for 46 Children,Closed 1960.
    Our Lady of Mercy Industrial for Girls, Kinsale, Sisters of Mercy, Certified for 120 Children, Closed 1963.
    Mallow Industrial School for Girls, Sisters of Mercy, Certified for 60 Children, Remained open after 1970.
    St Finbarrs Industrial School for Giels, Sundays Wells, Cork City,Sisters of the Good Shepherd, Certified 172 Children, Remained open after 1970.
    St Aloysuis Industrial School for Girls, Clonakilty, Sisters of Mercy, Certified 130 Children, Closed in 1965.
    Gasser, St Colmans Industrial School, Cobh closed in 1960. All the children who were there at the time were transferred to Sacred Heart School, Rushbrooke, Cobh, Co. Cork. I know because I was one of those kids.

gasser

Thank you ......but I did not wrote anything to suggest otherwise.

Fluffyy

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    Thank you ......but I did not wrote anything to suggest otherwise.
    No problem, just thought I'd mention the other place.