Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Oh now isnt that interesting! Mary Olive married in 1918 and has father Henry Bowen as deceased yet he didnt die until 1927. Wonder what she had been told as a child!

Dottie who are the witnesses on Mary Olive's marriage cert?

Settling in

Hi Shippo thanks for your continued interest. The witness names are hard to read but it looks like Margaret Ryan and Janet Mohutein Hennessey and they were married by John David Hennessey at Congregational Church Richmond. There was no mention of Mary Olive in Harry's will this is why I thought he had left and started a new life in Tasmania.
    Thanks for your help its been amazing.
    Dotti

A fountain of knowledge

Just posting these burials incase they are of interest to you. Olive Mary and Edna Mary are buried together.

Olive Mary Hirt
    springvale botanical cemetery
    R W Gillard, Row X, Grave 49
    Date of Birth - Date of Death 16 November 1981
    Date of Service 18 November 1981
    Burial Type Buried
    Age 89
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Edna Mary Holland
    springvale botanical cemetery
    R W Gillard, Row X, Grave 49
    Date of Birth 1 July 1916
    Date of Death 23 June 2005
    Date of Service 29 June 2005
    Cultural Preference Uniting Church Funeral Director Le Pine - Oakleigh
    Burial Type Cremated
    Age 88 Tenure

A fountain of knowledge

Something has been puzzling me.

Having already lost 3 little ones and then having the son with him it makes me wonder why he didnt appear to have any contact with Olive Mary. Her marriage cert. states he was deceased so that indicates she didnt know he was still alive. And she wasnt mentioned in his will. I just would have thought after losing kids and obviously raising one that he wouldnt ignore another child of his. OR i was thinking maybe Olive Mary wasnt his child. [its ok to say that isnt it?] Losing 3 kids in one years would put pressure on the best of marriages.

1891 census ... Elsie wasnt with them in England??
    1892 ... Olive Mary was born
    1892 ... Dec. i think i have found Harry in Tassie.

The Mercury Dec 1892.
    Westbury -: The following licenses were granted. Harry Bowen the Commerical Hotel.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...se=harry+bowen

Ozgenie

Hi Dotti,

I agree with Shippo - it puzzles me as well!!

From the ERs in 1968 Olive Mary HIRT was at 37 Bakers Road Oakleigh South. Also at that address were Edna and Victor John HOLLAND. The Hollands had been at that address from 1949. He was a Clerk. They were at that address until 1980. There were 3 children living with them and I will pm those details to you.

From Springvale Cemetery - Victor John HOLLAND died 3 July 1998 aged 90; Cremation Service 7 July 1998 Date of birth 31 October 1907; Funeral Director Le Pine Oakleigh; Uniting Church.

Regards
    Sue

A fountain of knowledge

I cant find a divorce in the VIC archives or in the newspapers. I assume they must have divorced otherwise Henry would have committed bigamy when he married in Tassie.
    I think the death for Elsie in 1900 may be the right one as it seems to be the only one. I doubt there would be anything on the death cert. that would confirm it tho that would depend on who the informant was. And then that means that young Olive Mary would have been raised by someone else.

Settling in

Hi Sue and Shippo I was thinking myself that maybe Mary Olive was not his child and perhaps he was a bigamist who would know as he married in Tasmania. He was defiantly in England on the 5th April 1891 I have not been able to find records of him coming back to Australia but he must have been back for December 1892 in Tasmania.But as you say who knows what problems arose after they lost the 3 children. I will get the Birth cert for Mary Olive next also the 1900 one for Elsie Bowen. Thanks both again I will let you know how I get on with this mystery though I must say you have both solved most of it.
    Dotti

A fountain of knowledge

Yes please keep us informed. I'd be interested to know how it all pans out. I think sue would be to.

Settling in

Hi Sue and Shippo I thought I would just update you after all your hard work. I have now got the death record for Elsie Bowen who died 1900. She died 4th October 1900 in the City Hospital in the County of Bourke she was buried 9th October 1900 at Melbourne Cemetery. The register of the death was the hall porter at the hospital it states not know how long she was in Victoria no know parents or family.The death was due to cervical ulceration asthemia think thats what it says. The age given is 40 that fits in with her being 21 when she got married in 1882. What do you think could this be the right person?.
    Regards Dotti

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Dotti,

It all seems to fit but without something concrete to connect them i would hate to say its her and it isnt.
    A jolly shame the death cert. hasnt got a lot of info on it.

Wonder if any of the hospital records survived.

And who raised Mary Olive. Yeah im back to that again

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast