apowell

Default Collier's in the pre 18th century

Hi,

I would like if possible some information on the jobs and roles of the collier pre 18th century because I have found a number of ancestors who were colliers/miners from that period going back to the 17th century. I'm aware of the coal master and mass mining of the 19th and 20th centuries but what type of work was carried out pre 18th century.

A few of my ancestors were colliers in Shropshire and lived in small villages would they have still worked for coal masters or in small independent groups. I've found one or two had left wills including properties and small amounts of land which surprised me given the image of the poor working miners.

Is there any difference between a collier or miner ?

Any help would be fantastic and any books worthwhile purchasing.

Kind regards
    Adrian

pottoka

In the "My Ancestor was a ..." series, there is "My Ancestor Was A Coal Miner" by David Tonks although I can't recommend it personally, not having had reason to buy it. I have a couple of others from the series and have been generally satisfied with them.

The OED gives as the definition of "collier":
    1. a coal miner
    2. a ship carrying coal

and of miner:
    1. a person who works in a mine, e.g. a coal miner
      (historical) a person who dug tunnels in order to destroy an enemy position with explosives.

Annamarie

Try
    Mining History Uk https://www.cmhrc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Women in Mining, https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....l/coalmain.htm has a pre 1842 section.

I also have ancestors who were colliers/pit workers in the 18 th century in Shropshire and Staffordshire.

apowell

Hi,

Many thanks for the information will check further.

Kind regards
    Adrian