Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Competition

Dominic - FWR

Default New Competition

First competition from Forces War Records, so we'd like to find out what new features you'd like on Brit Gen, all sensible ideas considered with a prize for the first one chosen.

Prize is a years membership to Forces War Records and the hire of our private researcher for one name of your choosing normal cost (£100).

Winning entry will be chosen by FWR on 31st May.

Next competition will be a bit more fundamental than this, but we'd like to test the waters with this first!

Best of luck.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Now that is a very nice prize. Thank you, Dominic.

So I'm going to be the first to pinch what several other people have already suggested - the ability to post photos directly into BG without having to go through a 'third party' such as Photobucket. Though in fairness, that suggestion should be disallowed from the competition, even if it's ultimately adopted. Unless you allow it from the person who originally posted the query shortly after FWR took over BG.

I'll have to see if I can find my brain cell and think of something original.

Pam

p.s. Do I get a prize for saying that because of the time differences for our members you need to be specific about a closing date/time, Dominic? e.g. midnight 30th May BST.

Dominic - FWR

Ah. That ones already coming next week Pam!

Knowledgeable and helpful

my personal request would be for a click box marked" replies to your posts"........I know the threads are marked by a green tick
    but it would be easier to be able to click and see if anyone has replied........hope that makes sense!!!!
    sandie

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic - FWR View Post
    Prize is a years membership to Forces War Records and the hire of our private researcher for one name of your choosing normal cost (£100).
    May I ask for clarification, please, although it's probably a stupid question?

Is the hire of the researcher for the one name in any family history or specifically for one with a war record?

Dominic - FWR

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    May I ask for clarification, please, although it's probably a stupid question?

Is the hire of the researcher for the one name in any family history or specifically for one with a war reycord?
    Yes, any.

Having just posted an answer to a thread reminded me what bugs me when answering a thread and I know that others may think Ïs that the best she can come up with?" Well yes it is because I tend to work around the techie things 'cos I tend to think it must be me!
    So I would like the smileys to be more easily accessible. At the moment I can only find them when using advanced search (oh and that is another thing to look at - why two types of search, why not just straight to advanced?) Anyhow when I do go to advanced so I can access the smileys there are only a few available without clicking on 'more.' Can we just have a few simple ones lined up above the reply box which only need one click to place them in the required spot in the reply box?

thewideeyedowl

Default In-post references in real time

The forum would be greatly enhanced if it were possible to research as you type a post. I envisage that a name (of a person or a place) that has been mentioned in another post anywhere in the forum would be immediately highlighted. Clicking on the name would bring up a list of references from other posts - I envisage a simple very old-style Yahoo type of list, circa 2000 (?). For this to be possible, refinements would have to be made to the existing rather basic Search facility as seen in the top right of the thread.

I think this facility would save a great deal of time - for posters and for all those helpful forum researchers out there. New links and lines of research could be discovered immediately - or in "real time", as the jargon has it. I also think that it is the sort of facility that would soon betaken up and integrated into other forum software, i.e. it has application way beyond BritGen.

Well, I'm swooping off now...

The Wideeyed Owl

As a Moderator one of the things I have to do quite often is move a research query that a new member has posted in the Problems Navigating Brit-Gen Forum, simply because they are not sure where to post. The plethora of forums can be quite confusing, and keen newbies sometimes post in the first place they can. I am also not totally happy with the order newbies view things.
    1. Welcome - Great
    2. Introduce Yourself – Great
    3. Problems. Problems before you’ve even started? Surely not!
    I would like to see an additional “Closed” Forum, similar to the Welcome one and positioned ahead of Problems Navigating Brit-Gen, called something like “Where to Post Queries”, that would have a single closed thread. This thread would start with a basic explanation of Thread Topics, how to expand/contract Forum Headings to reveal/hide individual forums on the Forum Home Page, and direct clickable links to very common forums such as General Family History Enquiries and Brick Walls.
    Then underneath I would like to see a pre 1974 COUNTY MAP of the UK, where clicking on a County would take you directly to the relevant County Forum. Many overseas members know that their ancestors came from a particular place in the UK but have no very clear idea of where it is, and it is often easier to post in General Enquiries rather than ploughing on through the list until you come to the relevant county forum - yet it is the very people with local knowledge who subscribe to county forums that newbies, particularly those from overseas, need to reach.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Brick wall demolition expert!

I think one improvement would be (somewhere in the introduction area) a list of who is who in terms of Administrators and Moderators, and perhaps which time zones they are working in, and what they are responsible for.

I think that this would help, not only new members, but everyone to know who to contact if they have a problem, or a concern, without necessarily posting issues to a wide circulation. Of course people would still be able to do that if that is what they want to do.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast