CourtenayL

Default HORACE COURTENAY - COASTGUARD SERVICE WWII

Dear British Genealogy/Coastguards and Customs Officers

Please can you help with this enquiry. Thank you.

My husband's grandfather Horace Courtenay (born Horace Thrasher, baptised Horace Thresher) worked for the Coastguard Service and was sent to Blackpool during the Second World War, staying there for all the war years 1939-1945. He died in 1959 and his death certificate says that he worked for the Ministry Of Transport. Please do you know what role Horace played during the Second World War. Thank you.

We also have an ARP (Air Raid Precaution) badge - would this have been for Horace, his wife Adelaide, mother Grace Alice Solomon or son born 1934 and what would be their duties? Thank you.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You may find records at Lancashire.gov.uk

Ministry of Transport would have been a Civil Service post. After the war a lot of uniformed personell went into the Civil Service which also encompassed the GPO / PO and all the other government departments that we know torday!

CourtenayL

Hi, thank you for your post.

Horace was born in 1893 Fulham.

Horace worked for the London Stock Exchange with his step-father Herbert Solomon and uncle Percy Atkins in the 1911 census and then served as a soldier in the First World War.

We do not know when Horace started working for the Civil Service - our first knowledge is for the Coastguard Service during the Second World War. We'll check out the Lancashire.gov.uk records. Thank you.

Lorraine and Peter

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by CourtenayL View Post
    We also have an ARP (Air Raid Precaution) badge - would this have been for Horace, his wife Adelaide, mother Grace Alice Solomon or son born 1934 and what would be their duties? Thank you.
    The ARP badge would have been for one of the adults - probably one of the women, because Horace was involved with the coastguards.
    I'm sure one of the lovely people here can give you a link to the duties of an ARP warden - they were many and varied. My great aunt was one in Derby - she loved reporting people with faulty blackout curtains! My father-in-law was one in Plymouth - he went out during the raids to throw buckets of sand onto the incendiary bombs.

Jane

Valued member of Brit-Gen

The administration of the CG service ping-ponged between various bodies, but after 1946 resided with the Ministry of Transport, so I suspect this was reflected on his death certificate. For a brief synopsis of the changes see : https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ails?uri=C3204