Brock

Default Freebodies, St Johns Road, Kates Hill, Dudley

I would like to find out any information available about a pub called Freebodies which was in St John's Road in Kates Hill in Dudley back in the 1870's. I believe that an ancestor of mine named Mary Harvey was the licencee there in 1873. If anyone can tell me anything at all about the old pub I would be most grateful.
    Thank you.

gasser

looking through google some information found was that there were 'some extremely wealthy families in medieval Dudley; burgesses like: the Russell's of Russell's Hall and the Freebodies of Kates Hill'. and
    'Kates Hill, is a post-medieval name that seems to have been used for part of the hill that was originally called Cawney Hill. It was part of an estate occupied by the Freebodies family in the late medieval period ' information found from Dudley metropolitan Council hsitory page.
    also,
    'The foundation stone of the new church situated at Freebodies, Dudley was laid in 1838. Freebodies was a settlement close to that of Kate’s Hill and situated about half a mile from Dudley town centre.' This information found via the website for St John's Church, Kates Hill, Surveys and Listing.
    hope this helps a bit

Valued member of Brit-Gen

The pub was built in 1835. In 1870 it was the Freebodies Tavern, and was a home brew pub (as were many others) At some time pre 1950s it was a Wright’s Breweries . It was closed, demolished and rebuilt on the same site , the new pub opening in 1976. there is a 1903 plan in Dudley archives.
    (This is all from Hitchmough’s black country pubs. An incomplete list of some landlords and dates is also on it if that is any interest)

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    looking through google some information found was that there were 'some extremely wealthy families in medieval Dudley; burgesses like: the Russell's of Russell's Hall and the Freebodies of Kates Hill'. and
    'Kates Hill, is a post-medieval name that seems to have been used for part of the hill that was originally called Cawney Hill. It was part of an estate occupied by the Freebodies family in the late medieval period ' information found from Dudley metropolitan Council hsitory page.
    also,
    'The foundation stone of the new church situated at Freebodies, Dudley was laid in 1838. Freebodies was a settlement close to that of Kate’s Hill and situated about half a mile from Dudley town centre.' This information found via the website for St John's Church, Kates Hill, Surveys and Listing.
    hope this helps a bit
    Thank you so much. When I first saw the name of the pub "Freebodies" I thought it rather an odd name & wondered what the origins of it might be. You have been very helpful, thank you.

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    The pub was built in 1835. In 1870 it was the Freebodies Tavern, and was a home brew pub (as were many others) At some time pre 1950s it was a Wright’s Breweries . It was closed, demolished and rebuilt on the same site , the new pub opening in 1976. there is a 1903 plan in Dudley archives.
    (This is all from Hitchmough’s black country pubs. An incomplete list of some landlords and dates is also on it if that is any interest)
    Thank you Mikejee, that's great information. My ancestor was named Mary Harvey & I believe that she was the licencee of the Freebodies in 1873. Could I possibly take you up on your very kind offer please? Could you tell me who was listed there either side of Mary Harvey's listing please along with the year. You say that the list isn't complete but by doing this at least I would know the time period that she possibly could have been there for. Thank you so much for your very kind help.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Brock
    Glad to oblige. However, on further investigation i have found that this is probably an error. Hitchmough's entries state :
    William Harper is listed in 1864 directory as being the landlord
    Mrs Mary Harper is listed in 1870-72 directories as being landlord
    Mrs Mary Harvey is listed in 1873 directory as being landlord
    Lamech Harper is listed in 1880 directory as being landlord
    Thomas Pargeter is landlord in 1881
    As you can see, it does raise question as to whether the 1873 directory made mistake over name. I do happen to have the Littlebury's directory for worcestershire for 1873, and this lists Mrs Mary Harper as landlady of the Freebodies . Preseumably hitchmough got his info from another 1873 directory, and there is always the doubt as to what year the information in a directory published in one year, refers to. However, i think the balance of probabilities is that the Harvey is a mssprint for harper. I am th eone who introduced that info to you originally, and apologise .

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    Brock
    Glad to oblige. However, on further investigation i have found that this is probably an error. Hitchmough's entries state :
    William Harper is listed in 1864 directory as being the landlord
    Mrs Mary Harper is listed in 1870-72 directories as being landlord
    Mrs Mary Harvey is listed in 1873 directory as being landlord
    Lamech Harper is listed in 1880 directory as being landlord
    Thomas Pargeter is landlord in 1881
    As you can see, it does raise question as to whether the 1873 directory made mistake over name. I do happen to have the Littlebury's directory for worcestershire for 1873, and this lists Mrs Mary Harper as landlady of the Freebodies . Preseumably hitchmough got his info from another 1873 directory, and there is always the doubt as to what year the information in a directory published in one year, refers to. However, i think the balance of probabilities is that the Harvey is a mssprint for harper. I am th eone who introduced that info to you originally, and apologise .
    I really do appreciate your very kind help & having read what you have just told me feel that you are likely correct in that Harvey was probably a misprint & was most likely meant to have been Harper in the 1873 entry.
    Thanks again.

Thank you for posting this seven years ago!

I have revisited my family history during Covid lockdown and am finding a wealth of information online.

I am grateful for this as William and Eliza Harper were my Great Great Great Great Grandparents.

Another piece of my family history solved without leaving the house.

I just wished it was this easy in the early 1990's when I started my journey.

Thanks for the info.