David Finnigan

Default Norfolk to Brighton Move

My 3xG Grandfather - William Henry Wymer (1837 to 1894) - was a Shoemaker/Cordwainer/Bootmaker in Costessey & Norwich, Norfolk before moving to Brighton, Sussex between the 1861 & 1871 censuses.
    What would prompt such a move? Were his skills required in Brighton?
    Thanks for any help.
    Cheers
    David
    Sydney Australia

David Benson

Have you checked if it was the whole family that moved. Also where were they in 1881. The census gives detail of where you were on the date it was taken, you may not be living there permanently - they could have been on holiday or visiting relatives.

Reputation beyond repute

Brighton was an expanding town at that time, popular with well-to-do people. See Wikipedia. There might well have been better opportunities there.

David Finnigan

The whole family - husband, wife and only child (my 2xG Grandmother) - moved and stayed in Brighton. Husband & wife stayed in Brighton after their daughter and her family moved to Camberwell, London in the 1880's. The wife moved to London when her husband died in 1894 and then back to Norwich after the 1911 census - she died in 1922.

David Benson

Probably as Peter has said - moved to better opportunities for work.

Most of the time it was money that made people move. They would see an advertisement in the papers and with the railways transporting people so easily by that time they would have packed up all their belongings - and in those days they wouldn't amount to much - and move across the country.
    As an example My great grandmother was an actress and travelled the length and breadth of this country and Ireland with most of her worldly goods, including her brass bedstead. Everything was put into the guard's van and when she arrivbed at her destination she would get a porter to bring it to her lodgings.
    Based on that I would say that moving once would be a doddle.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

p. harrison

My 3x great-grandfather also came from Norfolk[Saxthorpe/Corpusty],and he moved to the NE of England around 1860.The reason was work.The coal mines were opening up and the owners of the mines were also land owners in Norfolk.

David Finnigan

I seem to recollect that Arundel Castle - which is just along the coast from Brighton - was owned by the Earl(?) of Norfolk. So your comment about land owners may well be correct.

David Finnigan

We don't think of earlier generations moving around much - but obviously they did as you point out.