Thread: Sansum of Speen

Scousemouse

Default Sansum of Speen

I'm looking for an Ann Sansum who was probably baptised in Speen. Census and death certificate information give a calculated year of birth of 1792. She married William Card around 1816 (probably in London) before the couple moved to Liverpool where they had eight children and died in 1868 and 1862 respectively.

Does anyone have any information about the Sansums of Speen and in particular my direct ancestor, Ann?

Thanks
    Helen

Brick wall demolition expert!

Ancestry's data set "England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906" shows a number of hits if search surname: "Sansum" (soundex) Location: Berkshire

I can't see an Ann, but at least it might give you some information.

PS: if you haven't used 'soundex' before, its part of the search criteria, and it will look for names which might be spelt differently, but sound the same.

The data set "England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940" might also be able to help.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I could not locate a marriage for Ann & William. Wondered if they did so later. Tried Ann, Anne Sansum, Sansom....
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Scousemouse

Thanks to both Megan and Waitabit for your replies. I've tried every dataset I have access to and have learnt that Speen transcriptions are not online (subscription or free).

To be honest, Speen as a place and Sansum as a name are 'best guess' 'leaps of faith'. The 1851 census gives place of birth as Speedham, Berks (which I'm assuming is a sort of nasally Speenham!). Because I still haven't found a marriage (1st child born London), I'm guessing at Sansum as a maiden name for my Ann because one child has this as a middle name. Incredibly that child's baptism has been transcribed as John Lanborn Card by familysearch and John Lansum Card by Lancashire OPC. It's only when I consulted the original at Liverpool RO I realised it was probably Sansum. Having become a bit more familiar with Berkshire records, it does seem to be a name from those parts.

Looks like it's one for the backburner until I can find the time and money for a trip to Berkshire.

Helen

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Helen I can't even find a baptism for a child about that time in London, to Parents William & Ann/even Hannah. Have you tried chatting to some-one on a Berkshire F.H. group?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Scousemouse

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll join the Berkshire FHS. I'm sure to find someone with the local knowledge and expertise to put me on the right track (or out of my misery).

Helen