Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jenn2427

Unhappy PLEASE help look-up 2 things on Scot's PPL

Hello,

So I am back hoping that someone can assist me over in the U.K(preferrably Scotland). My x2 Great Grandparents were William Rennie and Christina Gall. They were married 08 JAN 1863 @ the High Kirk in Glasgow. Someone did a very brief look-up of the marriage for me and found out that William was a night Constable and Christina was a domestic servant.
    My issue I am having is that I can not find Anything that bears any truth to Christina's life prior to marriage.
    Her parents are listed as Thomas Gall and Christina Gall(formerly Davidson). What I'd like to know are any small details that may or may not have been overlooked. At the time of their daughter's marriage, was either Thomas or Christina alive or deceased? Is there a clue listed as to where Christina may or may not have originally been from? I can find no indication of marriage of a Thomas Gall and Christina Davidson.

At the time of marriage, they resided at 120 Rotten Ave, i believe. In the 1861 Scottish census there is a listing for a Christina G. Gall whom at that time is a nurse living in Crossmichael, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. I believe this to be her only because one of her children, married in Canada listed her mother as "Christina G. Gall". But then 2yrs later on her marriage she was listed as a domestic servant?

Their first child William Rennie(my 2nd great uncle) was born 25 JUN 1864 @ the High Kirk, Glasgow. Maybey on his birth record does it list any details pertaining to whom the witnessess were or about his mother's (christina Gall) origins?

BY THE WAY>> i do have an account with Scotland's People, it is just that unfortunately as a student, I do not yet have a real credit card. I currently use a pre-paid visa which does not allow me to make out of country(America) purchases so I am not able to purchase any credits to view the birth and marriage.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Jenn2427,
    At the time of marriage, they resided at 120 Rotten Ave, i believe. In the 1861 Scottish census there is a listing for a Christina G. Gall whom at that time is a nurse living in Crossmichael, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. I believe this to be her only because one of her children, married in Canada listed her mother as "Christina G. Gall". But then 2yrs later on her marriage she was listed as a domestic servant?
    I rather believe that these were one & the same, perhaps a childs nurse/ carer, then later a family retainer/ nurse come whatever.
    Depends on what she was hired to do.
    Have you seen her in earlier censuses? maybe with family who may have been witnesses to her marriage?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

jenn2427

@ Waitabit,

The witnessess to the marriage were from my x2 great grandps's family. No I have not seen her in any previous censuses. As I listed above, her parents are Thomas Gall and Christina Gall formerly Davidson. I cannot even find a marriage for a Thomas Gall and Christina Davidson. From my pre-paid visa here in America, I have NO WAY of doing any research on Scotland's people. I would appreciate if someone could look up their marriage to see if any small details that might've otherwise gone unnoticed, are listed. Such as were her parents listed as married at the time of her marriage? What was the mother's occupation? Were her parents deceased or alive at the time of her marriage? Any clue as to where she or her parents might be from?

Or if someone could please look up the record of birth/baptism for their first child William born 25 JUN 1864 at the high kirk. It is possible that on his record it may list where Christina is originally from? Or witnesses to his birth.

I wonder if there as some sort of mix up and Christina's brother's name as used on the marriage record. The birth place and date of birth matches this Christina/Christian. I do not have access to the original image as this entry was taken from ancestry not ScotlandsPeople.
    1851 Scottish census.
    Auchleuchries
    William Gall 37 labourer and farmer of 6 acres Cruden Aberdeenshire
    Christian Gall 30 City of Aberdeen
    Christian Gall 12 Ellon
    Thomas Gall 8 Ellon Aberdeenshire
    John Gall 4 Ellon

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

Living at the same address in 1861 as Christina G Gall is a family surname Renny. head of household William I Renny occupation landed propieter. Does this match Williams Rennies fathers name and occupation on the marriage certificate?. Going back to 1851 a Christina Gall born Ellon Abderdeenshire, (as transcribed)) parents William and Christina. Perhaps there was an error when entering fathers name on the marriage certificate.
    Julie

Same family in 1861 and Christina and Thomas are not with them.
    Auchlenchries, Cruden, Aberdeenshire
    William Gall 47 labourer and farmer of 10 acres New Deer Aberdeenshire
    Christina Gall 45 Aberdeen
    John Gall 14 Ellon
    James Gall 8 Cruden
    Ann Gall 5 cruden
    Isabella Gall 2 months dau Cruden
    William Wallace 5 grandson Cruden

Knowledgeable and helpful

The William Renny is 1861 is a tad to young to be Williams father.
    Julie

Umm. Searching for a marriage of a William Gall 1830 to 1839 gives only one - to a Christian Hall 13 October 1836. That just adds to the mystery/confusion. That was my last free credit on ScotlandsPeople

Hall/Gall?
    Just looked at William's birth :
    William Rennie/ 1864 June 25th 3h. a m. 189....... Street Glasgow/
    M/ William Rennie, Police constable,-Christina Rennie, M.S. Gall, 1862 Feb. Glasgow/....(1862 marriage date??)
    William Rennie Father/
    1864.July 6th.at Glasgow, Peter Ferguson, assist. registrar. -W P(I think)
    .no mention of Christina being a servant,..perhaps mistook 'M.S' Maiden Surname? as being maid servant? or did

Can't quite decipher street name '"Hunker or Huraker...
    Happy Families
    Wendy

8th Jan. 1863 'Durchalton Place? Glasgow: William Rennie Bachelor,31 Night Constable duly wed one Christina Gall 24 spinster Domestic .Servant. 120 rotten Row
    parents
    William Rennie, farmer & Janet Rennie , M.S. Sangster.
    Thomas Gall, lab'r & Christina Gall, M.S. Davidson.
    minister A B Parker D.D.
    A... Rennie & Isabel Rennie wit's
    Gros number 644/02 0049
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast