grahamwilk

Default Yorkshire regiment

Does anyone know if the ww1 war diaries are available for the West Yorks Regiment 18th Battalion

Thanks

Graham.

Nicolina

You could try contacting the Regimental museum via
    https://www.
    armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000080-Prince-of-Wales-s-Own-Regiment-of-Yorkshire-Museum.htm

Dizzy600

Does anyone know if the ww1 war diaries are available for the West Yorks Regiment 18th Battalion

If you find were they are, can you please post as I would be interested.

Thanks
    Karen

PS I have a book on the WYR 18th Batt - will have to get it out. Is there a particular name your looking for?
    Last edited by Dizzy600; 25-04-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: more info

Reputation beyond repute

You haven't quoted any dates!

There's a National Archives guide on the War Diaries including a search field.

However I prefer to just use the catalogue
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

(That's the old catalogue - I don't like the new one)

Now enter a search term of "18 battalion west yorkshire regiment" (NB "18" not "18th") and a series code of WO 95.

This brings you to...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...x=0&image1.y=0

Click "Ordering & Viewing Options" for more information.

Reputation beyond repute

Was the 18th a "Bradford Pals" battalion?

If so there are various books to look out for eg

Hudson, Ralph N. The Bradford Pals : a short history of the 16th and 18th (Service) Battalions of the Prince of Wales Own West Yorkshire Regiment, based on the war diaries of the battalions and the experiences of the men who served in them from August, 1914, to February, 1918. 2nd ed. Bradford : Bradford Libraries, 1993. ISBN: 0907734383 (pbk)

and a 3rd edition -

Hudson, Ralph N. The Bradford Pals. 3rd ed. Bradford : Bradford Libraries, 1998. ISBN: 0907734537

Dizzy600

Was the 18th a "Bradford Pals" battalion?

If so there are various books to look out for eg

Hudson, Ralph N. The Bradford Pals : a short history of the 16th and 18th (Service) Battalions of the Prince of Wales Own West Yorkshire Regiment, based on the war diaries of the battalions and the experiences of the men who served in them from August, 1914, to February, 1918. 2nd ed. Bradford : Bradford Libraries, 1993. ISBN: 0907734383 (pbk)

and a 3rd edition -

Hudson, Ralph N. The Bradford Pals. 3rd ed. Bradford : Bradford Libraries, 1998. ISBN: 0907734537[/QUOTE]

Yes, they were. That is the book I have a copy of.

Thanks Peter for the link.

Karen

grahamwilk

The soldier concerned was Norman Edgar Crowe, he was KIA in 1916 on the somme. I have the info from the CWGC site but would like to look through the war diaries

Dizzy600

Hi Graham,

Just had a quick look for the book and can't find it! Will keep looking - it's not where it should be... Sorry.