Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

I don't know why you're being so coy about the site in question. As it happens I currently have subscriptions to Ancestry and Findmypast and I've never seen any adverts on either site.

This may be because I use Firefox with Adblock Plus. I recommend that combination for much less cluttered browsing experience

Brick wall demolition expert!

I'm glad Peter has named the site, because I was wondering, as I have subscriptions to a couple and never have a problem with pop ups. I use Internet Explorer and nothing else!!

But to those who have the nuisance, my sympathies are with you, 'cos they drive me mad when I am on a site where they pop up, and interfere with what I am doing - they're just like telephone cold callers!

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't know why you're being so coy about the site in question. As it happens I currently have subscriptions to Ancestry and Findmypast and I've never seen any adverts on either site.

This may be because I use Firefox with Adblock Plus. I recommend that combination for much less cluttered browsing experience
    I have subs to both as well Peter and they are bombarding me. I tried Adblock last week (I too have Firefox) but it stopped me loading images unless I clicked on a sort of video camera thing for each image. do you get that as well?

Dominic - FWR

Seems a bit extreme for sites that charge over £100 a year to access them.

I have a feeling they will drive customers away.

Reputation beyond repute

it stopped me loading images unless I clicked on a sort of video camera thing for each image
    I've never had that. I'm not sure it's Adblock Pkus doing it. Have a look at your addions (Tools>Add-ons>Extensions) and make sure you haven't something called Image Block or similar name. Afraid that's all I can think of.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Peter

I currently use Chrome and have installed Adblock which has 'vanished' the adverts but my substantive point remains that the advert that finally got my goat was one promising me unlimited riches simply for clicking on their advert. I spent the last few years of my 90 ish years old mother's independent life trying to explain to her that phone calls and letters telling her that she had won loads of money were scams targeting elderly people (although I didn't use the modern word 'scam'). As she was failing in mind as well as body she never quite understood and in the end I had to stop her access to premium rate telephone numbers to prevent her racking up enormous telephone bills (which she had). I resent Findmypast using such adverts although I am not daft enough to expect commercial companies to behave in other than a profit driven way. As I said above, maybe I'm just naive, but somehow I expected better from them.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

bamagirl

I have used the above mentioned ad blocker in Firefox for a long time now. Pages with annoying blinking and animated ads load more slowly and are distracting to the point that one cannot consume the content served on them. There is a "white list" option to allow ads on certain pages and/or sites.

My opinion (worth what you pay for it) is that if one pays to view a site, there should be a user setting to remove ads from them.
    -Barb

Very quick off the mark.

I must be doing something wrong (or right!) as I subscribe to both Ancestry and Findmypast and have never seen these adverts. I am not aware of having any blockers.

Just my luck that I will now sign on to these sites and be bombarded.

Maggie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12