Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default Electoral Enrollments London

A curiousness, re electoral enrollments Uk.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...oral-Registers

["1918 saw the introduction of voting for women over the age of 30 and all men over the age of 21, not just those mentioned above.
    Finally, the Equal Franchise Act of 1928 gave parity to women and they were able to vote from the age of 21 – the same as men. This then became 18 for all in 1969"]
    So if a Woman didn't elect to enrol to vote (perhaps hubby didn't wish it, or she wasn't interested)..

In later years does this mean, if herself didn't register, we won't find her on 'electoral rolls in London'?...just perhaps the men in the Family?
    Or is she registered as part of the household of himself if of age?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

malcolm99

I can't be certain how electoral registration was carried out before WW2 but in more recent times one form was sent to the Head of the house and all individuals who were eligible and wanted to vote were entered on that form. We've never had compulsory voting in the UK and therefore electoral registration by individuals was and is voluntary.

I think that's right but I'm happy to be corrected.

Edit: There is also this "The Representation of the People Act 2000 introduced voluntary rolling electoral
    registration in England, Scotland and Wales to enable people to be added to (and deleted from) the electoral register at any time throughout the year." In Northern Ireland a system of individual rather than household registration was introduced in 2002.

https://www.
    bl.uk/reshelp/findhelprestype/offpubs/electreg/electoralregisters.pdf
    Last edited by malcolm99; 21-04-2013 at 9:50 AM. Reason: added edit

Sounds like what I've read/heard Malcolm, hence my question re elect'l rolls London.I know some of my lot married & so were not with family in certain years but how many didn't bother? oh, ho hum.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Reputation beyond repute

electoral registration by individuals was and is voluntary.
    I don't think that's true. Registration is compulsory although it isn't very rigorously policed. Voting is voluntary.

Thanks Peter, another little smidgen learned.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

malcolm99

It appears that at the moment that although there is a duty on Electoral Registration officers to compile a register of all who are entitled to vote [Section 9, Representation of the People Act 1983 (as amended)] there is no obligation for a person to register - although the Government has plans!
    https://www.
    bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18179075

Reputation beyond repute

There is currently a £1000 penalty for failing to complete an electoral registration form.

malcolm99

Where do you get that from Peter?

Reputation beyond repute

Electoral Commission

If you receive a request for your registration information from your local electoral registration office then you are legally obliged to respond. If you do not respond, or if you provide false information, then you could receive a £1,000 fine.

I suppose it's only me but "receive a fine" seems strange wording - you have to part with the money, not receive it

I don't know how all this is helping Wendy with her genealogy. Was there some specific problem, Wendy?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Electoral Commission

If you receive a request for your registration information from your local electoral registration office then you are legally obliged to respond. If you do not respond, or if you provide false information, then you could receive a £1,000 fine.
    But that only applies to the person (‘head of household’) receiving the annual household canvass from the Electoral Registration Officer, not to all individuals who are eligible to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't know how all this is helping Wendy with her genealogy.
    Very relevant to Wendy’s enquiry I would have thought. As the 2011 White Paper on “Individual Electoral Registration” says (section 64) “While we strongly encourage people to register to vote the Government believes the act is one of personal choice and as such there should be no compulsion placed on an individual to make an application to register to vote”.

https://www
    .official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm81/8108/8108.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast