Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Tank

Default WW1 Military Cemetery

Hi Folks

I'm looking for some local insight please.

I'm trying to trace the final resting place of a John Walter Bott who is commemorated on our village War Memorial (Ibstock, Leicestershire), unfortunaetly there is no record on the Commonwealth War Graves.

FreeBMD has an entry for the death of a John W Bott between April & June 1918 Isle of Wight Volume 2b - which is backed up by a short sentence in the local paper from April 1918 of him being injured while with the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.

Is there a military cemetery on the island or might he have been buried in a municipal graveyard?

I'm trying to identify the date he died and if possible get a photograph of his headstone for a commemorative website I'm creating detailing all the men listed on the memorial.

Cheers

terrysfamily

His entry is at

https://www.
    isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/bmd_1/deaths/d_results_1.php?&surname=bott&exact=yes

Terry
    Last edited by Procat; 20-04-2013 at 1:37 AM. Reason: Link broken. Site sells memberships and products

A fountain of knowledge

Surely 46 in 1918 would have been a very ripe old age to be serving in the forces?
    Unless he was a (very?) senior officer perhaps?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by timbo58 View Post
    Surely 46 in 1918 would have been a very ripe old age to be serving in the forces?
    No. The Military Service Act 1916 allowed for the conscription of men up to the age of 41. I might be quite mistaken of course but it seems to me that if Parliament thought then that a 41 year old untrained civilian was capable of being trained as a soldier then I don't suppose many people would be surprised to find that a serving soldier was 46 years old.

Valued member of Brit-Gen.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo58 View Post
    My GtGrandad was serving at 44 - enlisted at 41,(despite having half a dozen or more dependent children)
    so 46 seems perfectly credible to me.

terrysfamily

And then there is this gentleman

https://
    1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187475
    Last edited by Procat; 20-04-2013 at 1:32 AM. Reason: Link removed. Site solicits donations

terrysfamily

Sorry Procat, that's twice I've posted a direct link without breaking it. I should know better.

Terry

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    Sorry Procat, that's twice I've posted a direct link without breaking it. I should know better.

Terry
    Not a problem at all Terry.

malcolm99

This doesn't answer your question directly but as John Walter Bott and his family appear on this site it might be worth contacting Ken Phillips to see if he has any ideas>

https://www.
    kenphillips.org.uk/FamHistData2-o/p23.htm#i4635

Reputation beyond repute

Is there a military cemetery on the island
    If the Commonwealth War Graves site doesn't recognise him as one of the war dead, he is unlikely to be buried in a military cemetery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast