Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    topleycolin

erroneous message
    Last edited by topleycolin; 12-05-2015 at 10:27 AM. Reason: erroneous message

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madmickbiker View Post
    Please don't continue trying to justify info iro my gt grandmother that is erroneous. She was NEVER married to Rowden, he was her lover. Their child was my grandmother. I have all the certificates, photos & authentication. As I have already said, she lied to her lover about her origins. She lied to her family too. She never was French. None of the Wilson family are French. Only the Rowdens had Huguenot origins. She was a Roman Catholic living in sin with a bastard child whilst her true husband was in the army. End of story.
    it would be better to post the information you have,and therefore back up your claim with evidence,,,rather than ranting at someone that the information they have is wrong.
    We are all here to help each other with their family history,,,it does no good to simply tell someone they are wrong. Rather it would be more helpful,and interesting for us all if you could elaborate on your story,by providing the relevant documents/facts that you say you have.

topleycolin

gortonboy, thanks for this, you put it better than I could. I was so taken aback by the vehemence of that posting that I considered cancelling my membership of this site.
    Thanks again,
    Colin

Elaine, surely you will agree that when family myths arise, it's because family members have blindly accepted what they have been told without checking the evidence themselves? You say that you have evidence, so would you please provide the citations - it's standard research practice, even when the discussion isn't controversial.

Colin, were other members of the family also claiming to have been born in France? What was the Father's occupation that could have taken him and his family across the Channel? Have you found her in earlier census returns?
    And would you really walk out of a club involving hundreds because you don't like the reaction of one?

I must say that the last time we had such conflicting evidence, it turned out that cousins were involved - same name, same birth year... And descendants who came to enjoy the challenge of sorting it out.

topleycolin

Lesley, this has nothing to do with me or my kin, I just offered to help the original poster Maggie-Mae.
    As for cancelling, I did say I only considered it. I belong to quite a few groups of this kind but that was the 1st time I've come across such a vehement response.
    I think I'll just wind my neck in as we used to say in the RAF many years ago.

Taking the 1911 census as a guide there is a marriage of a Frances J Wilson Holborn reg district (which includes Clerkenwell) September 1/4 1891 to to either a Michael Schroers or a George Roberts.
    There is a birth reg of a Frances Jane Wilson Dec 1/4 1871 Holborn registration district.
    1881 has this Frances Wilson age 9 born Clerkenwell
    RG11 Piece 357 Folio 23 Page 39
    9 Lloyds Row St James Clerkenwell
    Alfred Wilson 33 Waiter at Inn. born london
    Frances Wilson 40 shirt collar maker, London Hammersmith
    Eliza Wilson 15 no occ. Bloomsbury, London
    Frances Wilson 9 daughter, Clerkl, London
    Alfred Wilson 7 Islington
    William Wilson 3 Clerkl, London
    Jane Wilson 19 daughter in law, (stepdaughter?) no occ. London Tottenham CT Road
    Jane Morley 54 boarder widow

Elaine, it would be very helpful if you could confirm, or not, my findings. All our members love to help each other and sometimes we have to accept that what our ancestors did and said was not always the truth. As Lesley has said, if you have the census and birth and marriage records could you post them please.

Christina

ps. Don't even consider 'pulling your neck in' Colin you were only doing what any of our members do - giving generous help to others.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

madmickbiker

The only person I will give details to, if she contacts again, is the original poster Maggie May.
    Unlikely, so suggest you remove my posts and me too.

Hello Elaine
    It is good that you are willing to provide maggie-may with the details and sources of your research.
    May I suggest you remain a member of the Brit-Gen forums as this is the only method of contact she has at the moment.
    We do have a private messaging system (pm) Click on maggie-may's name and choose private message from the drop down menu. This allows you to provide the poster with information you are unwilling (or our AUP forbids) to share publicly.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

maggie-may

Hi Christina.
    Goodness me, I have just seen these posts! My computer has been out of action for some while. I haven't taken all the posts in yet but I will answer your reply. The family you are referring to looks to be a different family? I will go and find the census I had taken the information from. I started out looking into my Grandmother's family who I know very little about other than her parents, siblings etc. My Grandmother was Frances Fanny Wilson born in Wandsworth in 1892. She had a brother George born in Fulham in 1890. Their parents were George Digby Wilson and Mary Ann Dutton who married in 1888. I can only find them on a Census ? living at the correct address but a mistake has their surname down as Hart! But it's definitely my family. George Digby Wilson was a wore worker. Trying to track my Nan I found in 1911 that she was 19yrs old and staying with the Rowden family in Islington. She was a book folder. Her relationship is down as Neice. I took this to mean of Frances Jane Rowden, who according to the census was born in France. That is my link to the Rowden family. Yes, I did query why this lady was born in France to see if it would give me any further info on my Nan's family. Nan married in 1912 and it stated her father was deceased. I have been trying to find his death certificate to see what happened to him, to no avail.
    The family listed above are possibly related to my Wilson's as I have come across the place name, Clerkenwell in my research. George, nan's father was born Clerkenwell 1858 but the names listed above do not match with the info I have collected. That's not to say there isn't a link, I just haven't found it yet!
    Madmickbiker, please don't leave the site. It would be great to find out why my nan was with the Rowdens. Apologies if my original posting upset you. It was never meant to cause these problems. I was just looking for help re the connection.
    Many thanks to everyone who has replied. Very much appreciated.
    Kind regards.
    Maggie.

PS. Almost scared to say I am still looking for my Great Grandfather's (George Digby Wilson's) death cert. Who died between 1892 -1912.

maggie-may

Hi all.
    Correction to my last posting. My Grandfather, George Digby Wilson was a wire worker and the census I mentioned with them under the name of Hart was 1891. The family were living in Wardley Street, Wandsworth, where nan was born a year later.
    Maggie

How do I know if I have any PM's? I am still pretty new to the site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast