Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Coming new to this discussion, it might be worth looking at the dates of the marriages of the various wives mentioned here.

I wasted time with my own study by ignoring records for a couple with the wrong wife, then realised it was 2 marriages by the same man. When a woman died leaving small children, the husband frequently remaried very quickly - they were more pragmatic back then.

Tamara L.

Hello ...
    As far as I know there were not "various wives" but unfortunately the one key element to this puzzle is finding the marriage record for John Stewart (or Stuart) and Jane (Jean) Leys. Given the time frame for the birth of their children they would have been married circa 1820. Unfortunately the only record I have been able to find in that time frame is for a John Stewart marrying a Margt. Leys! According to the children's death records in Canada Jean was there mother so doubtful to your theory of two wives.

Thanks for your input however it helps sometimes to look outside the box.
    Tamara L.

I didn't mean that he had "various wives", but that there are a number of wives mentioned here. It was common back then for a widowed man trying to cope with small children and his work to remarry rapidly (don't forget how many women married in childbirth). I have several examples in my OPS - in one of them a ploughman faced with coping with twin newborns after his wife died at their birth married his cousin within 3 months of his wife's death. The cousin, in her 30s when she married, had no kids of her own, but brought up his motherless children (who all did well so she must have done something right). I worked it out when I found the entry for this second marriage which described him as widowed rather than a batchelor.

I agree that Jean's wedding date is the key! Sadl, not all church registers have survived, though.

Tamara L.

You are correct ... the marriage date would be the key ... and I at first wonder if the one I found with a John Stewart marrying a Margt. Leys around the correct time was THE RIGHT ONE and either the her name was transcribed wrong by the minister or she had a different first name. I doubt the latter of these as I have christening record as "Jean". I'm also aware of the fact that many times women died in child birth as it has happened 3 times in my tree that I know of and in the Mowbray one he already had a 2 year old (my great grandmother) and his dead wife's sister stepped in to help with her care and the grief and a year later they wed. I have the feeling that it may be one of those records that is lost but this line was also started due to an earlier mistake to help find out where John Stewart (husband of Jean Leys) was born and who his parents are. Initially I had him attached to different parents, but with the census and other family records saying he was born in Forfar near Lochlee I've had to look again. Also the other John Stewart was found ... re the earlier error.
    Any input or suggestions are gratefully accepted.
    Tamara

Duncanreid

Hi maybe I can help, Alexander Stewart Born Lochlee 1843 was my ggggGrandfather . He was married to Helen Dryden in Wiggan England (worked in the mills down there, Helen was from Glenogilvie Glamis, Scotland who went also to work in Mills) Alexanders father was John Stewart a game keeper born 1816 I think. Alexanders mother was Leah Davidson (they were not married) Alexander was brought up by his gran and grandad (James Davidson and Janet Fleming) Alexander and Helen moved back to Scotland mainly Angus and had Alexander Stewart b 1879 Leys of Cossan Glamis
    William B
    David b 1872
    Leah b 1874
    Marjory b 1876
    Charles b 1878
    James b 1881
    Agnes b 1885
    Ann b 1888
    Alexander Born 1843 died 1912 from chronic bronchitis. He lived at New rd Forfar and is buried at Newmonthill Forfar.
    Hope this is helpful, if you need any more information it's no problem have family records through a few hundred years.

Tamara L.

Default Thanks Duncan.

The only reason we have been starting our search over again is because of an earlier error and the fact that the Strathdon 1851 census said that my 3rd great grandfather was born in Lochlee Forfar. As yoet I've come up with nothing but with his obit (and the family bible concurs with this date) is that he was born in 1793. The only Stuart or Stewart close to Lochlee born that year was born or baptised in Tannadice. He could be that one. We (there are a few of us working on this line) believe his father's name was James. The main connection was to Aberdeenshire though I think after 1745 they moved a bit ... most likely due to the name! So there might be a connection between yours and mine but would have to go back a genration or two to prove it.
    Tamara
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanreid View Post
    Hi maybe I can help, Alexander Stewart Born Lochlee 1843 was my ggggGrandfather . He was married to Helen Dryden in Wiggan England (worked in the mills down there, Helen was from Glenogilvie Glamis, Scotland who went also to work in Mills) Alexanders father was John Stewart a game keeper born 1816 I think. Alexanders mother was Leah Davidson (they were not married) Alexander was brought up by his gran and grandad (James Davidson and Janet Fleming) Alexander and Helen moved back to Scotland mainly Angus and had Alexander Stewart b 1879 Leys of Cossan Glamis
    William B
    David b 1872
    Leah b 1874
    Marjory b 1876
    Charles b 1878
    James b 1881
    Agnes b 1885
    Ann b 1888
    Alexander Born 1843 died 1912 from chronic bronchitis. He lived at New rd Forfar and is buried at Newmonthill Forfar.
    Hope this is helpful, if you need any more information it's no problem have family records through a few hundred years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12