Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tamara L.

Default Stewart / Lochlee and Strathdon.

Looking for a John Stewart born and baptised in early 1793 in LochLee, Forfarshire according to Strathdon Aberdeenshire 1851 census. Earlier errors have meant going back to square one.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Would a John STUART baptism date of 14 Aug 1793 @ Strathdon & Corgarff, tie in with what you have.

Steve.

His death in 1874, Logie Coldstone, Aberdeenshire, seems to tie in with his baptism, and 1841/51/61/71 census.

Steve.

This John Stewart married Margaret WILLIAMS.

This John Stewart that I've found, was born 1793. Strathdon, Aberdeenshire, so it looks like he's the wrong one.

I cannot see the one you mention, that's born c1793 in Lochlee.

Tamara L.

Does it mention the names of his parents? I still think it would have been earlier in the year as family records show he was born in February 1793 inLochlee, but that is only handwritten records not a primary source. I am still trying to work out if the family went to that area from Aberdeenshire and then he moved back or if they were from Lochlee and eventually my ancestor moved to Corgarff.

Tamara L.

Tamara L.

In the 1841 census and the 1851 census my ancestor John Stewart (also spelled Stuart) was in Corgarff Strathdon with his family. After that they emigrated so he would no longer have appeared in any Scottish census.

Tamara L.

Tamara L.

This is the wrong one. His wife's name was Jean Leys.

What was the name of the wife and children of your John Stewart/Stuart. Then perhaps we can help. I've used up all my credits for Scotlands people, so perhaps you may have to continue your search there, if you purchase some credits.

In the 1841 Scottish census, the family you found in 1851 census are living in Strathdon. And John Stewart/Stuart(1796), has a place of birth given as Aberdeenshire. (This is the family with wife as Jean).

So if this is not them, then that's two families considered and rejected.(Together with the one I found).

Steve.

Tamara L.

Hi ~

I have gone on Scotlands People before which is where I got the 1851 census from. Another person shared the 1841 census with me who descends from the same line. I haven't been able to find a marriage record for my John Stuart/Stewart aside from a John Stewart marrying a Margaret Leys about the right time and place. Can't believe they would get or record the bride's name wrong. They had several children right up until 1844 starting with James, John, Elizabeth, Janet, Ann, William, Mary, Alexander, Robert, George and Charles. These are not in the right order (aside from the first two) as I am going from memory.

Tamara L.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast