My 2X Gt.-grandfather was Apprenticed to Arthur Wadsworth in April 1846 until he reached the age of 21 which would have occurred on 9 August 1851. Arthur was a Maker of Surgical Trusses.

Arthur was born abt 1818 and had at least 3 older sisters.

In the 1841 census held 6 June 1841, the 4 were living together in St. George, Camberwell - Piece 1052, Book 4, Folio 55, Page 11. Arthur is indicated as age 24 and Occupation was an Undertaker. His 3 sisters ranging in age from 26 to 29 were all unmarried and possibly worked with Arthur. The place of residence was indicated as Cottage Green.

In the 1851 census - Piece 1530, Folio 293, Page 3 - Arthur is now the head of household and has 2 of his sisters ansd indicates all were born in Kingsland, Middlesex. This I believe is not correct as in later census records as well as being confirmed by baptism records they were all born in Shoreditch. In the residence as well was his Apprentice. The occupations of all are Surgical Instrument Makers and the residence was 8 Bell Yard.

I have the 3 sisters in future census records. I cannot find Arthur after the 1851 census, so where is he?

As a matter of interest, my 2X Gt.-grandfather doesn't appear to have followed in his masters footsteps. In the 1861 census and throughout the rest of his life, his occupation was listed as a Mesenger.

Colin