Sandra Parker

Default A convict in your family exhibition

If you are in or around Sydney, this sounds well worth a look.
    Sandra

Was your ancestor transported for a pittance? This exhibition showcases the rich, large-scale photographs of documentary photographer Mine Konakci.
    The works reveal the connection between convict settlers, their direct descendants and the petty crimes that changed the course of their family’s history. Drawn from a diverse cross-section of the community, sitters have been photographed alongside a representation of the item stolen by their ancestor.
    Proudly sponsored by Momento
    Part of the Head On Photo Festival

Museum of Sydney
    Saturday 13 April - Sunday 14 July 2013

https://www.hht.net.au/whats_on/exhib..._in_the_family

spison

Thanks Sandra,
    I'll try to get down there. What a clever idea. I could be photographed beside a handkerchief and my children in front of a picture! Their father's convicts are far more interesting than mine!
    Jane

Sandra Parker

Aha, a handkerchief, eh? I really wonder why so many people seemed to value their handkerchiefs so highly. Most kids today, don't even know what one is!
    As for the picture for your children, what would the picture be? Rubens, Vermeer or madam's tapestry picture? Or do you actually know?
    I find I am always amazed at the things that were taken. I can understand food and clothing or items saleable, but some things are beyond my understanding. But then I didn't live in those time, so don't know the value of day to day items.
    Sandra

spison

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Parker View Post
    Or do you actually know?
    No idea. One day I might did into that mob again but not yet. What about you?
    Jane