Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    euryalus

I'm a little bit confused about the origins of the estates, which were funded largely by the company, which provided 90 per cent of the capital on 50-year mortgages at a favourable rate of interest. I initially assumed that tenants would be able to buy their properties although, on re-reading the article, it appears that they were always rented. I suppose the money was loaned to the GW (London) Housing Association.

Colin Rowledge

Hi euryalis

I cannot seem to find the article that you mentioned in post #19. Any chance of you sending me a copy?

I would also like to receive any information about winding down of the Association in 1990 and what happened to the various estates.

Colin

euryalus

Hello Colin,

I can send it, but I will first have to scan it, which may take some time. In the meantime, have you tried looking at Google Earth - you should be able to navigate every street and see every house.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by euryalus View Post
    Hello Colin,

I can send it, but I will first have to scan it, which may take some time. In the meantime, have you tried looking at Google Earth - you should be able to navigate every street and see every house.
    Thank you - there's no rush

I did find it via Google Earth, However as I have previously mentioned in post #9 & 14 the photo is definitely newer than the mid 1950's but doesn't tell us when it was taken. Thhe one I have of my mum and brother was taken pre 1926and the one from Google Earth while similar to what I remember, there have been alterations made which make it look different from when we resided there.

Colin

euryalus

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Thank you - there's no rush

I did find it via Google Earth, However as I have previously mentioned in post #9 & 14 the photo is definitely newer than the mid 1950's but doesn't tell us when it was taken. Thhe one I have of my mum and brother was taken pre 1926and the one from Google Earth while similar to what I remember, there have been alterations made which make it look different from when we resided there.

Colin
    I have scanned the image but cannot work out how to send it. I have just sent private e-mail, suggesting that you contact me on my own e-mail, so that I can send the image.

euryalus

[IMG]C:\Users\Stanley\Documents\All-Oxon[/IMG] The image has not appeared - I must be doing something wrong?

Colin Rowledge

I have scanned the image but cannot work out how to send it. I have just sent private e-mail, suggesting that you contact me on my own e-mail, so that I can send the image.
    Have replied and hope it worked

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    I've just told you on another thread that I'm a terrible pedant ... sorry

Um, you do know that the G.W.R. was privatised in 1948, along with the other railways, to become British Railways? Yes, alright, I'm going, just let me get my coat ...
    I think you mean nationalised in 1948, not privatised; this would have made very little difference to the Acton estate.
    A pedant hoist with her own petard ... no smiley exists for that!

You are quite right, euryalus, I meant nationalised, quite the opposite of what I actually wrote. Mea maxima culpa.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123