Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Hi,

I believe that would be a thread started by Swindon Library.
    Doug, if the post that Ken R. referred to was the LIbrary then I have had some success with Swindon Library. The only reference they could locate for him was a one line entry of his death in their magazines.

What I am now attempting to do is put some history together of his early years of his working career.

Colin

pippycat

Colin

Google: The Great Western (London) Housing Association

- do take a look, there is some good background info relating to the "GWR Garden Village" at Acton.

The records are held at London Met. Archives and among the list of contents are Tenants and Shareholders.
    So they might have something of interest for you.

Rebecca

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Having googled the address I know it is still there and probably somewhat changed over the past 60 years - appearance wise.
    Glad to hear that you know that the house is still there, Colin; otherwise, I was going to say "put a return address on the back of the envelope" so that it doesn't go to the dead/lost letter centre first. Here in France they put their address on the envelope, presumably because they don't trust La Poste, but they don't put it at the top of the letter, so, chances are, when you want to reply, you'll have chucked the envelope away ...

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    I will certainly make contact with the current resident shortly - wouldn't it supercali - etc. - if they have lived there a good many years and allow us egress, I have many fond memories of my 10+ years there.

Colin
    Oh, dear Colin, I think you're going to have to factor in the purchase of an OED (heavy, in two volumes, if you get the Shorter version) while you're in Blighty. It'll keep you occupied reading it on the plane going back. The current resident might well allow you egress, even with a boot in it, but you have to acquire ingress first!

I'll just add that I've been taking photos over the past few years of places where my parents and grandparents have lived, and no-one has ever challenged me. In one case, the owner was in the garden, so I asked if she minded, and she showed us the ground floor and was interested to hear how it was when my grandmother lived there.

Colin Rowledge

Thank you, Pottoka for the lesson in English as she be spoked. I had intended to use the word 'ACCESS', but suffered a burp and my hand went elsewhere!!

Knowing that the railway owned the land and the buildings there-on from 1923 to 1990, what happened after 1990 is a big question mark. I have seen a photo of the property from my research and while there are similarities to the house I lived in from 1944 to the mid 1950's the are also some significant changes. I know not when this photo was taken. I also know that after 1990 numeous changes in housing took place - for example - the resdence that I lived in with my parents and was rented from the town council until I came to Canada, no longer exists.

I guess the only way to determine the situation is to send a letter addressed to 'Occupant' and on the envelope put my return address here in Canada and see what happens.

Colin

pottoka

I've just told you on another thread that I'm a terrible pedant ... sorry

Um, you do know that the G.W.R. was privatised in 1948, along with the other railways, to become British Railways? Yes, alright, I'm going, just let me get my coat ...

My dad started work for the L.M.S. and ended up retiring from British Rail.

euryalus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    On the subject of the GWR, do we not have a member who has access to old GWR magazines? Possibly someone at Didcot? Whilst not a searchable index, I believe, if given dates, they are willing to peruse for Promotions, etc.
    The Great Western Railway Magazine should contain details about all of the railway-owned estates. You might also try joining one of the GWR discussion forums, such as the "GWR elist" (I think that is its correct name), which is a Yahoo group.

euryalus

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    I've just told you on another thread that I'm a terrible pedant ... sorry Um, you do know that the G.W.R. was privatised in 1948, along with the other railways, to become British Railways? Yes, alright, I'm going, just let me get my coat ....
    I think you mean nationalised in 1948, not privatised; this would have made very little difference to the Acton estate.

Just a thought, but the GWR half-yearly reports were puiblished more or less in full in The Times, which is available on-line. This would provide details of the staff housing estates at Acton and elsewhere.

Colin, as others have said, whilst you don't need permission to photograph a house from the street, it is only polite to ring the doorbell first and ask. I have first hand experience of the wisdom of this. Having written up our family history into a little book, I wanted some illustrations, and went to take a picture of the house where my husband's grandfather lived. I could see a car in the drive, so knocked and asked permission. When I explained why I wanted the photo and my relationship to a previous owner of the house, he exclaimed "Oh, the sea captain! Do come in!" I not only had a long chat over a cup of coffee, I was treated to stories a neighbour had told him about our ancestor, was able to take indoor photos as well, and was shown the deeds to the property!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

euryalus

According to an article about the Great Western (London) Housing Association which appeared in the BR Western Region London Division News in Autumn 1961 (issue No.8) the association was registered under the Industrial & Provident Societies Act on 6th June 1923. Between 1923 and 1938 no less than 1,059 houses were built on two estates at West Acton and Hayes. In 1961, the rent for a "non-parlour" house at Acton was 16s. 3d. per week. The houses had three bedrooms and most were semi-detached. They were typical of the period, with hipped roofs and "vernacular" cottage-style features.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by euryalus View Post
    According to an article about the Great Western (London) Housing Association which appeared in the BR Western Region London Division News in Autumn 1961 (issue No.8) the association was registered under the Industrial & Provident Societies Act on 6th June 1923. Between 1923 and 1938 no less than 1,059 houses were built on two estates at West Acton and Hayes. In 1961, the rent for a "non-parlour" house at Acton was 16s. 3d. per week. The houses had three bedrooms and most were semi-detached. They were typical of the period, with hipped roofs and "vernacular" cottage-style features.
    That pretty well describes how I remember it. As my grandparents were there from 1926 until we had to leave in the mid 1950's as the railway needed the property back, my mother was most distraught at the time.

Colin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast