Debra Bozkurt

Default James Whitaker and Hannah Roberts Marriage

Hi

I can't really call this a brickwall as one solution to my problem is to send off for the certificate but since its Easter Weekend I thought I would have one last go at solving my dilemma before forking out for a marriage certificate in the hope that would help!.

This is one of those annoying family cases where there appears to be lots of clues and lots of the areas records on line (Liverpool) but which ever way I turn, from the family using the "only" chapel in Liverpool without its records on line, to common names etc. Here is hoping you can help.

I am trying to trace the parents of a James Whitaker (spelt sometimes with 2 ts) born about 1807 who married Hannah Roberts in the Great George Street Chapel Liverpool 1842, information gleamed from announcement in paper. The paper gave me address as Parliament Place and both James and Hannah were there in 1841 living a few doors away. As they got married post 1837 both in their 30s I thought great Liverpool records are on line and therefore fathers will be on the record, no records for the chapel .

On the census with Hannah Roberts were what looked like two sisters, Margaret Roberts and Sarah Roberts running Lodging House, traced Margaret through census and she ends up living with Hannah and a Sister Ann Watson in Liscard, Cheshire. I found Ann's marriage licence record and she didn't marry until 50 in 1850 Liscard St John to a wealthy Gentleman called Thomas Watson - again no actual marriage on line - I have wondered in Ann was the Sarah on the 1841 census as they were both roughly the same age being born 1800. I have tried the obvious and tried to find a common father in the Liverpool baptism records - none tie up!

With regards to James Whitaker I think on the 1851 census it says place of birth Burnley, on the 1841 census James is with a Thomas Whitaker and wife Jane so assuming they were brothers I tried to trace their marriage as Jane was only 20 I thought I was in with a fighting chance of it being post 1837, Think I found it on the index 1840 Thomas Whitaker to a Jane Irvine but yet again no on line transcription! Both James and Thomas were joiner/cabinet makers, I have no idea where Thomas was born as there appears to be a large amount of Whitakers who were Joiners around the Burnley area where James says he was born and I found it difficult to find a relevant Thomas/Jane combination with the right birth places.

If anyone can help me, knows where the Great George Chapel street records are or can work out some of my conundrum I would be very grateful.

Kind Regards

Debbie

Reputation beyond repute

I am trying to trace the parents of a James Whitaker (spelt sometimes with 2 ts) born about 1807 who married Hannah Roberts in the Great George Street Chapel Liverpool 1842, information gleamed from announcement in paper. The paper gave me address as Parliament Place and both James and Hannah were there in 1841 living a few doors away. As they got married post 1837 both in their 30s I thought great Liverpool records are on line and therefore fathers will be on the record, no records for the chapel
    It was a Congregational chapel so there wouldn't be a register. The minister was not empowered to register marriages himself. Registration would have to be undertaken by a visiting official who would bring the register with him, enter the details and take it away afterwards. Any local record kept by the chapel would be unofficial.

You need to order a certificate.

Debra Bozkurt

Thank you at least you have clarified things for me. I could have gone round in circles, I guess I will be ordering the certificate and hope that both fathers we called something not so common

Debs

pippycat

Debs

No help with your query regarding the chapel, but I was looking at baps and came across this:

Register of Wesleyan Chapel in Horsforth, Yorks.

John Roberts b 13 March bap. 19 May 1824
    parents: Joseph Roberts (paper maker) and SARAH.
    abode: Horsforth, parish of Guisely?, Yorks
    maternal grandparents: James and Ann WHITAKER.

There is also Joseph Roberts bap 29 July 1827 to same parents.

Sarah might possibly be sister of your James?

Rebecca

Debra Bozkurt

Thanks Rebecca will bear in mind, I have decided to send off for certificate, it will take over a week with the Easter break, at the moment the Whitakers crossed to Cheshire and one to the Outer Hebrides so Yorkshire is not too far away

Debs