Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sandlgreen

Default Hi, my name is Sharon and I need your help.

Hi, my name is Sharon and I have been doing genealogy of some time now, but I have lately been stuck on doing my husbands mothers blood relatives. That brings me to the Whartons. See she was a Wharton, daughter of an Englishman who was a British Home Child. He came to Canada in 1905 on the SS. Siberian from Liverpool to Halifax. According to my husbands cousins, James John did not speak of his past so people just didn't ask about it. So because of the lack of information on this side of the ocean, I am hoping complete strangers can help me out in my search. I have his dad and mom as Henry and Polly, his birth date as 1893

Loves to help with queries

Can see an 8 year old James WHARTON in 1901 census living in Gateshead, Co. Durham with widowed mother Polly age 32 but can't see a marriage of a Henry WHARTON to a Polly (which is also a nickname for Mary) Two births registered in Co. Durham 1893 of James WHARTON.

JudyStrachan

1901 census has a James Wharton age 8 in Gateshead, Durham, with mother Polly Wharton and a widow age 68 called Margaret Hammill: a certain pay to subscribe web site has him linked to other records, including passenger lists to Canada and Canadian Voters Lists. It also links him to a Birth Index Entry for 1893 in Durham.

Annamarie

From your other thread I see James John was possibly born in Dudley, Staffordshire and both parents were alive in 1905. There is a birth of a John Wharton in Dudley, Staffordshire in the 4th Q 1894, vol 6c page 130. Have you found any information about his 7 brothers and 3 sisters!

sandlgreen

I do have on a marriage certificate that James John Wharton was in New Brunswick 31 Jul 1915 and a letter from Samuel Hoyt, his "adopted" father to Henry Wharton, who is showing that he and Polly were together and alive in 1914

sandlgreen

Default Right lead

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarie View Post
    From your other thread I see James John was possibly born in Dudley, Staffordshire and both parents were alive in 1905. There is a birth of a John Wharton in Dudley, Staffordshire in the 4th Q 1894, vol 6c page 130. Have you found any information about his 7 brothers and 3 sisters!
    No, I haven't found any information, buat I think this is the proper lead.

sandlgreen

Unfortunately, this isn't the right James Wharton, because of a marriage certificate, his mother was married to Henry Wharton.

Hi Sharon
    I have found the family in 1891 living in Kates Hill, Durham with Mary Ann’s parents James & Matilda Cartwright. RG12; Piece: 2296; Folio: 123; Page: 31

I can’t, as yet, find a marriage for Henry & Mary/Polly.
    The children all seem to have been registered as Worton/Whorton. There are two James’ 1892 & 1895 born Durham.
    This seems to tie in with your other thread and the family living at Kates Hill.

Census care of TNA

sandlgreen

Annamarie, where do I go to find this information?
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    Hi Sharon
    I have found the family in 1891 living in Kates Hill, Durham with Mary Ann’s parents James & Matilda Cartwright. RG12; Piece: 2296; Folio: 123; Page: 31

I can’t, as yet, find a marriage for Henry & Mary/Polly.
    The children all seem to have been registered as Worton/Whorton. There are two James’ 1892 & 1895 born Durham.
    This seems to tie in with your other thread and the family living at Kates Hill.

Census care of TNA
    Sorry the address should be Kates Hill, Dudley Worcestershire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast