Thread: Burials

tubatom

Default Burials

I have always assumed that people would have to be either cremated or buried somewhere but I cannot find a burial record for my 2X great grandfather Edward, who died in Yarmouth in Oct 1906 .
    His mother, wife , and some of the children are buried in Yarmouth and as cremation was not an option on the IOW until early 1960,s logic would say he must be buried somewhere but all the Island records have drawn a blank.
    Any possible ideas would be most welcome.

Jan1954

Have you checked the local newspapers of the day to see if there is a funeral notice? That may say where the burial was to take place.

Starting to feel at home

It might help if you could give his full name. I can see by BMD enquiry that there are just 3 'Edwards' whose adult deaths were registered in Q4 1906 on the Island. Of these 1 was of Ryde, 1 of Newport and 1 of Calbourne. If he is the Calbourne gentleman (about 4 miles from Yarmouth) did you enquire of Calbourne churchyard?

Unfortunately the online IoW papers stop at 1900. Following Jan's advice it might be worth contacting The Isle of Wight Family History Society to ask for help. There were 4 local newspapers in existence in 1906 and one of the Society's members might be prepared to look at these for you at the IoW Record Office in Newport.

Ray

tubatom

I have his death cert and he died in High Street Yarmouth on 21 0ct 1906 the death being registerd by his daughter with whom he was living at the time

Starting to feel at home

Ok then it would be worth contacting the IoW FHS.

The reason I asked of his name was there had been an old enquiry on another website of an Edward Pilcher ex coastguard who died Q4 1906 and whose address in 1881 census was High St Yarmouth but whose death was registered at Calbourne. Calbourne cemetery has graves of WW1 personnel who died in UK and might therefore have been in use after 1906.
    regards
    Ray

Starting to feel at home

Just another thought tuba tom. If this gentleman was the coastguard in question, is it possible it was a burial at sea? His will if he left one might have stated his wishes.
    Cremations legally commenced in 1885 so another thought is ashes scattered at sea after cremation on the mainland. Having attended one of the former from a liner and also one of the latter off the IoW these are possibilties.
    Ray