Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    euryalus

Quote Originally Posted by BeaBear View Post
    He has a stripe on the shoulder, which made me think he was a higher rank, and he looks to be older, almost in his thirties. I also very much doubt that a normal private would have a picture taken with their family in their uniform unless he was high up!! He also wears that hat, and I didn't think normal soldiers did, and the belt looks quite posh too.:P
    He has a regimental title on his shoulder-strap, and I cannot see enough of the cap badge to identify it. He may by a member of the Territorial Force or, if the photograph was taken in World War One, a member of the Voluntary Training Corps - a sort of "Home Guard".
    e

MythicalMarian

BeaBear - I have several great-uncles who volunteered for WW1, all between the ages of 30 and 40. One of mine even lied about his age, saying he was 37 when in fact he was 43, bless him. As to how 'grand' the picture may look, I have a family photo of great-uncle James Hill (a lance-corporal) who had a very grand photo taken, complete with a baton! He looked so grand, that when I was a little girl and saw the name on the back 'L-C James Hill' - I asked my Mum if he was a lieutenant-colonel

The man in the photo looks like a private to me, compared to the ones I have, but I am certainly no expert. I have a couple of officers too, and they certainly seemed more loaded with insignia.

BeaBear

Haha thanks all ;P the soldiers back then do look very grand indeed, MythicalMarian!

I still have yet to find out who this gent is, so we're going to do some more digging. Thankyou all

Starting to feel at home

I initially thought of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry cap badge when I saw it.
    If you have 15 minutes to spare have a look at the British Badge.co website and compare to the various Light Infantry cap badges.
    Ray

BeaBear

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond M View Post
    I initially thought of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry cap badge when I saw it.
    If you have 15 minutes to spare have a look at the British Badge.co website and compare to the various Light Infantry cap badges.
    Ray
    Ah, I had a look at the Cornwall badge and you're right - it does look the same! It wouldn't surprise me as I have relatives that way! Thank you ever so much..I don't know if it's possible, but with this information would I be able to find out who he was? We know his surname!

Starting to feel at home

Be aware that there are several Light Infantry regiments which have similar cap badges. However if he served in WW1 then it's initially worth looking at The National Archives medal index. This is the link but can also be accessed via their home page.

http:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...-cards-ww1.htm

If you insert his name eg Henry Whitfield and then in the Corps box insert only Duke of Cornwalls you will get all the Whitfields who served in this regiment. If he doesn't appear then try leaving out his first name to get all the Whitfields in this regiment. This might be worth looking through.

Another way which to identify him is to insert his surname only and just Light Infantry in the Corps box. This will give all Whitfields who served in all the Light infantry regiments.

Failing this the DCLI have a museum at Bodmin - now there's a nice day out - and you can always enquire of them via this link. They should be able to guide you although I am sure there are others on the Forum who will give you more help.

http:
    www.cornwalls-regimentalmuseum.org/index.html

I was in the Army and never ceased to be amazed at how rapidly the light infantry marched accompanied by their band at the same speed! Look at you tube under "Light Division & Ghurkas Massed Bands".

Happy Easter Ray

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by BeaBear View Post
    We live in Gloucestershire, so I wanted to match the badge battalion to the Gloucestershire regiment but I couldn't find any matches.
    I had a great uncle killed at Gallipoli, who at the time was with the North Staffordshire Regiment. Originally he enlisted with the Welsh Regiment, but was then transferred. As he was from Pembrokeshire, and had lived his whole life there, this would not have been something that he would have asked for. I suspect that the North Staffs needed more troops and so they were moved around.

It's something to bear in mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12