Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bertie

Just because of the Ontario connection, is there any mileage in the following???

nameThomas Mcgaw
    birth date1834
    age35
    spouse's nameWilliana Gordon
    spouse's birth date1842
    spouse's age27
    event date24 Jun 1869
    event placeToronto,York,Ontario
    father's name Thomas Mcgaw
    mother's name Christina Davidson
    spouse's father's nameWilliam Gordon
    spouse's mother's nameAnna Bell
    indexing project (batch) numberM58488-2
    system originOntario-ODM
    gs film number1030065

That marriage is:
    Thomas McGAW, 35, Oshawa, Toronto, s/o Thomas McGAW & Christina DAVIDSON, married Williana GORDON, 17, Greenock [Renfrewshire] Scotland, Toronto, d/o William GORDON & Anna BELL, witn: A D SHAW & William SMITH of Toronto, 24 Jun 1869

Also: "THOMAS McGaw (Farmer)
    Amongst the sturdy pioneers who settled in the forest and carved out
    their homes in the neighbourhood of Oshawa none were better known and
    respected than Mr. Thomas McGaw, who settled on lot 2 in the 4th concession
    of Whitby, in the year 1832.

Mr. McGaw sailed from Glasgow, Scotland in a brig of less than three
    hundred tons burthen and as the St.Lawrence canal was not then completed
    he and his family proceeded under considerable difficulties. Like many of
    the early settlers in that part of the township, now one of the garden
    spots of Ontario, they had to make their way as best they could through
    the forest. Mr. McGaw went to his lot by way of the forest now known as
    the two rod road, north of Farewell's Corners. Mr. McGaw died about the
    year 1877 age 85. His wife some time afterwards at the wonderful age of
    96. This worthy couple had a large family all deceased except a son and
    daughter now residing in Detroit, Michigan and Mr. Thomas McGaw of the
    well known Queen's Hotel, Toronto".

Coromandel

I got excited when I saw that one, Bertie. I have been trying and trying to find a connection but think now it may be a red herring, as those McGaws seem to have arrived in Ontario too early. Here's what I found anyway, in case it helps.

The Thomas who married in 1869 is probably the Thomas McGaw buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto, in 1901, birthplace shown as Ontario (FamilySearch again). Googling finds a book about the cemetery which says this Thomas was born in Oshawa, Ontario. If that's correct then it seems unlikely that he had a younger sister born in Scotland, unless the family went back to Scotland for a time.

On the plus side, his father, Thomas McGaw, had come from Glasgow, but was in Ontario by 1832 according to this document:

https://
    localhistory.oshawalibrary.ca/pdfportal/pdfskins/Pedlar/pg_0147.pdf

Thomas senior died 'about the year 1877 age 85' and his wife 'sometime afterwards at the wonderful age of 96'. By the date of publication of this document [sorry, I was too lazy to check what that was] their 'large family' was all dead 'except a son and daughter now residing in Detroit, Michigan and Mr. Thomas McGaw of the well known Queen's Hotel, Toronto.'

I couldn't find a Christina McGaw dying at 96, but there was a Catherine McGaw aged 96 who died in Mariposa, Victoria, Ontario on 15 Nov 1889 and whose birth place is shown as Girvin, Scotland) (from Ontario Deaths on FamilySearch).

FamilySearch does have some baptisms for children of Thomas Gaw/Gow/McGaw and Catherine Davidson:

Alexander Gaw b. & bapt 1817 Girvan, Ayrshire
    Margaret Earl Gaw, bapt 1819 Girvan
    Catherine Gaw b. & bapt 1824 Gorbals, Lanarkshire
    Catherine McGaw b. & bapt 1825 Gorbals
    Hugh Earl Gow b. & bapt 1828 Gorbals
    Mary Earl Gaw b. & bapt 1831 Gorbals

Their disappearance from Scottish records after 1831 would fit nicely with the appearance in Ontario in 1832.

The wife is once referred to as Christina Davidson (in 1869 when son Thomas married). Is this significant, or is this just a mistake, given that she seems to be called Catherine in other records?

1851/2 census has the following in Whitby, Ontario:
    Thos McGaw, 60, farmer, b. Scotland
    Catharine McGaw, 55, b. Scotland
    Hugh McGaw, 23, labourer, b. Scotland
    Wm McGaw, 16, labourer, b. U.C. [Upper Canada]
    (all U. Presbyterian; ages are age next birthday)

Bertie

I agree it does not fit neatly, but where is the marriage of Thomas GALL & Christina DAVIDSON and why do they refuse to be found in Scotland 1841-1861?

jenn2427

Hmmmm.......................both u and coromandel are good!!! Geesh, sure is confusing. Can someone please check something for me?

if you go onto the site Seekingmichigan.org look undder deaths and type in william rennie, his son henry listed his birthdate as
    14 JAN 1833 with parents as William Rennie and Jessie Gordon. Is there even a marriage for these names or a birthdate matchingthis?

There is family talk of a Jessie Gordon. But the only marriage i find for a christina gall and william rennie list his parents as william and janet. Quite confusing! After all, his birthdate was OCT in the census.

jenn2427

LOL.....exactly!!!

jenn2427

Re post: I agree it does not fit neatly, but where is the marriage of Thomas GALL & Christina DAVIDSON and why do they refuse to be found in Scotland 1841-1861?

LOL

Bertie

Quote Originally Posted by jenn2427 View Post
    There is family talk of a Jessie Gordon. But the only marriage i find for a christina gall and william rennie list his parents as william and janet. Quite confusing! After all, his birthdate was OCT in the census.
    NB: Jessie is the diminutive form of Janet in Scotland so Jessie / Janet GORDON likely the same person

jenn2427

Also feel free to note that on the marriage for their son Henry, parents are listed as William Rennie and CHRISTIAN Gall.

for the marriage of another child parents are listed as William Rennie and CHRISTINA G. Gall. Could that middle initial be a clue?

jenn2427

@ Bertie. I understand but from the marriage the mother would be janet sangster. that is all so confusing. death certificate says on thing. census says another. Anyways....back to christina

Bertie

Quote Originally Posted by jenn2427 View Post
    Also feel free to note that on the marriage for their son Henry, parents are listed as William Rennie and CHRISTIAN Gall.

for the marriage of another child parents are listed as William Rennie and CHRISTINA G. Gall. Could that middle initial be a clue?
    See my posts #17 & #20 which list the variations of her name. I think 'G' might be signiticant

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast