aeracura

Default MARY KNIGHT/WADE/ARBOUR/WELLS

Hello all

I have a brick wall with my 5x great grandmother Mary. The information on her that I have is that she married for the second time to a William Wade in 1792 in Orton Longeville ~ she was listed as a widow and her name was listed as Mary Knight (although that was obviously the name of her first husband) She had a daughter, Mary in March 1793 with her new husband William, who then died in the May of 1793. Mary married for a third time in the July of that year to a Thomas Arbour (my 5x great grandfather) who had been recently widowed himself - by the way, Mary and William Wade, Thomas Arbour and the 4th Husband Thomas Wells all lived in Great Gidding - so I'm presuming she moved there after her wedding to William Wade. She had three children with Thomas, and then he died and she married Thomas Wells and had another 4 - weirdly repeating names of children that were still living. Anyhow... How can I find out who her first husband was and, more importantly, what her maiden name was so that I can go back further? So far I've found some Knights in Orton Longueville but haven't been able to match up dates. Oh and Mary died in 1847 with her age listed as 83 which means she was born approximately 1764. The husbands that I've located were all quite poor so that's why I presume the need to marry quite hastily between them, at least I'm hoping she didn't bump them off deliberately!

~ Jo

janbooth

Hi Jo,

Was Mary's 2nd marriage after May 1792? There is a burial at Orton Longueville on 25 May 1792 (source National Burial Index) of a William KNIGHT - perhaps worth consideration if Mary's 2nd marriage was after his burial date.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Jo,
    Familysearch.org has a 1785 marriage of Thomas Knight to Mary Wilson,worth a look.