patrick barnes

Red face Street names in Cavan Town

Hi all,

Can anyone help. Having conducted much research on my ancestors from Cavan, I have been able to place them as living in certain locations within Cavan town but not sure where these places are. Can anyone explain where the following locations are:

Half Acre, Mill rock Street, Pudding Lane, Breffni Terrace

I have an idea that some of these places no longer exist or replaced with other names. Many thank,

Patrick

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Have you found any people/rellies in the Griffiths valuations or Tithe Applotment Books. If you scroll through the pages, there maybe a street that still exists today, that were close to the places you menton.

Steve.

Jan1954

"Take me through the streets of Cavan" could be a starting point, especially if you follow any routes mentioned with a modern-day map at your side. Breffni Terrace is mentioned, as is Half Acre.

https://www.
    irishidentity.com/extras/places/stories/streets.htm

By the way, did you follow up colashbury's reply in your earlier thread about Pudding Lane?

Mill Rock Street is mentioned in the 1901 census, so it might well be worth trying to find the enumerator's walk to work out the route where he would have picked up the forms. This also applies to Half Acre.