Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default How to identify persons in photo?

I have a copy of a photo of G'Parents taken in Croydon, with other persons unknown to me. When I viewed & copied the photo I saw written in pencil 1932. (almost certain, not 1923)
    My Mother left this home in 1927 for Australia, so she is not present in piccy. Her elder Sister, Mother, Father, maybe younger Sister (1909) & Sister-in -Law are also present along with a female Family friend.

Five persons centrally located have me wondering, & hoping maybe one is the Nephew of G'Mother (via her Brother.) along with his wife & p'raps her Family members.
    However if I add the young chap on the right to the equation, Perhaps they are the Family of one of G'dads Brothers.....then again,maybe none of the above.

Quite possible they were just Family friends, & not from Surrey..mayhap Sussex or London.
    youngest in appearances probaby born 1916-18.Who can tell, it's been suggested that one Lass was my Aunt b. 1909.

It's come to the time in my fossickings when I can dally no longer.

Is there a place where I can place this photo with a request for possible identification of persons from the public ?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

malcolm99

I would certainly try to get it published in the Croydon Advertiser. If you sent a good copy of the photo with a heartfelt plea to the editor they might well print it - local newspapers often like this sort of thing.

Contact the Advertiser House address:

https://www.
    nsdatabase.co.uk/newspaperdetail.cfm?paperid=263

BayHorse

Echo Malcolm - it's certainly worth a try. We have a free weekly newspaper around here, and that often carries an old photo or two on the Letters page with a request for information.

Mutley

Local papers are a good idea.

I believe that Francis Frith (google) has a section where memories or old photos of a town/people can be written or uploaded.
    I know they have a Croydon section. I have never tried doing it so I am not sure what is involved.

It might be worth reading through the memories, names are often mentioned and you may strike lucky. I think you can send a message to the poster.

Malcolm & BayHorse, thank you. Certainly worth a shot, thanks for the link. I have some-one local who may do that for me.

Mutley, really good idea too. Have had a lookee, unsure if they accept 'people photos' but will definitely contact them & ask. After all they have a 'genealogy' section
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Mutley

My 'ole' dad used to say, "if you don't ask, you don't get" and my 'ole' mum used to add, "but don't forget the please".

Well worth a try Wendy. Good Luck. xx

Thanks Mutley, right on about "if you don't.." in the meantime I've just located the Family I'm looking into, Mum aged 77 & two dtrs unmarried- setting of in 1949 on the Queen Mary to New Zealand & a new life. Son stayed behind with his new wife & it's himself I'm wondering about as being in photo.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable half day - after the power came back on
    Happy Families
    Wendy

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Is there a place where I can place this photo with a request for possible identification of persons from the public ?
    Hello Wendy

I've just had a thought. If you don't have any luck with the other suggestions, you could try the Face Book group Bygone Croydon. I pop in there every so often and find it quite distracting!

would certainly try to get it published in the Croydon Advertiser. If you sent a good copy of the photo with a heartfelt plea to the editor they might well print it - local newspapers often like this sort of thing.
    you could try the Face Book group Bygone Croydon.
    Thanks for the above Malcolm, I've passed the first along to Resident cousin, but haven't heard back, so unsure if he's reading emails lately or swanning aroung in his retirement

Not heard back from Frith either, so much for 'contact us' it's more contact me with offers for this & that on special! I did enjoy their Croydon photo/memory page tho'.

I did try for the Sussex FHG Family Historian, Don't know if it was worthy or not until next issue arrives. so much non communication going on!

Facebook- now there's instant assistance. A realy lovely Lady over that way has included it on her page for me with a 'pass it on' request. I didn't know there was a Croydon group. Don't you have to be a member?

Well from experience, who knows when someone will happen on any of these pages & arrive with just the news I need. I'll wait a while longer.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post

Facebook- now there's instant assistance. A realy lovely Lady over that way has included it on her page for me with a 'pass it on' request. I didn't know there was a Croydon group. Don't you have to be a member?
    If its run by Croydon people they'll let anyone join (seriously though it's dead easy - these types of sites (which are wonderfully democratic) always welcome anyone who's interested in their locality - my favourite is Now and Then Walworth).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast