Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mrmaccy

Default Siloam Chapel, Llanelly, Breconshire

Can anyone let me know if they have or know about a photograph of the now demolished Siloam Chapel that was in Llanelly. I would be extremely grateful.
    Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello there

Dyfed FHS have pictures on their website of churches and chapels in LLanelly including one called Siloah (Independent) - but perhaps that is something different. grid ref SN 50432 99312 Looks much too nice a building to have been demolished.

Mrmaccy

Thanks for the reply, but wrong location. Thats in Carmarthenshire, i'm looking for Siloam in Llanelly, Breconshire!!

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmaccy View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but wrong location. Thats in Carmarthenshire, i'm looking for Siloam in Llanelly, Breconshire!!
    Oh dear, should have read your post more carefully!

Starting to feel at home

"i'm looking for Siloam in Llanelly, Breconshire!!"
    Llanelly, Breconshire? I'd take a trip round GENUKI Wales before going any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Gododdin View Post
    "i'm looking for Siloam in Llanelly, Breconshire!!"
    Llanelly, Breconshire? I'd take a trip round GENUKI Wales before going any further.
    I used to live near Llanelly, Breconshire and it was always being confused with its more famous namesake. The GENUKI page for Llanelli BRE does give you a link to John Ball's wonderful Images of Welsh Churches and Chapels site, but I couldn't see Siloam.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Coromandel

No luck so far, Mrmaccy.

I assume it is the one referred to on this list:

https://www.
    rcahmw.gov.uk/media/177.pdf

with grid reference SO22471284; the address is given as Cheltenham (I didn't know there was a Welsh Cheltenham until today!) though it is also referred to elsewhere as being in Clydach and/or Blackrock. Put in coordinates 322439, 212861 on the Old Maps website to get near it. It is still marked on the 1965/66 map, though what had been labelled 'burial ground' on the earlier maps is by then under the new 'Heads of the Valleys Road' (A465). It looks like a building is still there on the two later maps, 1970 (marked 'Chap') and 1988 (marked 'PW').

There's some discussion of the demolition here:

https://
    archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/BlaenauGwent/2001-10/1003430255

One of the contributors to that thread says that she thought she had a picture of the chapel; there's no mention of whether it turned up or not. Sorry, that possibly imaginary photo is the nearest I've got so far!

Starting to feel at home

Apologies to all for never having heard of Llanelli Brecks; just as well I stopped short of the ' . . . as any fule kno' routine.

I suggest you contact the secretary of Gwent Family History Society - details and addresses on their website
    www.gwentfhs.info

because she and her husband were in that area photographing and recording monumental inscriptions back in the summer, before the road widening begins and the stones are "moved to safety" and the burial ground has whatever is going to happen to it......happen.
    Also it might be a plan to contact the Gwent Archives
    https://www.gwentarchives.gov.uk/
    and ask what pictures they have in their collection.

The reason I suggest this is because Llanelli, Clydach and Black Rock have been passed back and forth across the county boundary several times in the last few hundred years. Because of their position the records could be in either archive or at the Nationa LIbrary of Wales which has far more local records than I think should be in a National repository, but that's a whole other argument
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Mrmaccy

Hi Coromandel, Ladykis etc,
    Yes that's the one, and i've been to where the chapel was, i was just hoping that someone somewhere would have or know of a photograph of the place. My great grandparents were married there in 1888. I'll contact the Gwent FHS to see if they have anything as well as the National Library. I've searched their online data base, but nothing came up, but a friend of mine works there so i'll see if he can come up with anything!!
    Will let you know of any developments.
    Thanks again,
    Mr Maccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast