Thread: Research at DRO

Loves to help with queries

Default Research at DRO

Can anybody recommend a locally based researcher to undertake work at Durham Records Office please?

Paul

Jan1954

Although he says that he usually researches in Lancashire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Cheshire, and Yorkshire, it might still be worth contacting Simon Martin to see if he would be able to help.

Settling in.

did you find anyone to do research at DRO?
    Not sure when but I will be going in next few weeks myself. I f your requirements are fairly basic I could look them up for you. I am no expert but would try to help.

Hi Bobby,

Thank you very much for your generous offer of help. I haven't found anyone yet. My research request is quite straight forward, I hope!.

I am looking for any mention in the local newspaper - the Stanley News - of the return of my grandfather from captivity at the end of World War One. I believe local papers sometimes carried such details. His name was James Henry Dorrell, he served with the Royal Garrison Artillery (No 32 Siege Battery) and was taken prisoner at a place called Villers Guislain, during the German counter attack in the Battle of Cambria in November 1917. He had formerly worked at the South Derwent Coal Company's West Stanley pit in Stanley.

I understand that the DRO have copies of the Stanley News on microfiche and that they can be viewed by appointment. I guess he would have returned sometime between late November 1918 and March 1919.

I would be most grateful if you could have a look for me - I will be happy to cover any reasonable expenses you incur on my behalf.

Please let me know if you feel that this is something you're happy to undertake.

Regards,

Paul

Settling in.

hi Paul

will look for that

bobby

Thanks very much Bobby, that'll be great.

Paul

Hi Bobby - I don't mean to be pain - but have you managed to visit DRO yet please?

Paul