Thread: Killed

Whitehouse

Default Killed

Hi all
    Is there a site that list people killed in the mines in Illogan, Cornwall around 1840.
    Regards Richard

MarkJ

Not that I know of. There are lists for some mines - East Wheal Rose for example (which is near me, rather than down Illogan).
    Are you after a specific person? Have you tried asking the OPC for Illogan if he has any record of deaths in the mines around the Parish? (Look up Cornwall Online Parish Clerks on a search engine to find the website and then look for Illogan in the Parish Index to get his email details)

Mark

Reputation beyond repute

I only have a tourist's knowledge of the area but wasn't the mining primarily tin and copper - not coaL

Whitehouse

Thanks for the Brilliant site cant find the person that im after he is a bit of a mistery, thought i would find him as he was a miner, maybe he wasnt killed in one, will keep trying. The site is a sad one so many young lives lost very sad. Thanks again for your help.
    Regards Richard

Whitehouse

You could be right is ther a site for tin mining disasters. Richard

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I only have a tourist's knowledge of the area but wasn't the mining primarily tin and copper - not coaL
    Tin, copper, silver, arsenic etc. No coal in Cornwall at all as far as I know.

Whilst I don't believe there is a specific site about mining deaths in Cornwall, the OPC may well have details about Illogan deaths.

Do you have a name for your chap? Perhaps we can find out what happened another way. Many deaths were reported in the local papers at the time - and depending on when the death took place, we could perhaps find him via those. Some of the West Briton newspapers have been transcribed and placed online and he may be in those with a report as to what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Do you have a name for your chap? Perhaps we can find out what happened another way. Many deaths were reported in the local papers at the time - and depending on when the death took place, we could perhaps find him via those. Some of the West Briton newspapers have been transcribed and placed online and he may be in those with a report as to what happened.
    Can I presume that you are looking for a death for Henry Carpenter as mentioned on this thread (his wife remarrying before 1841)? I have linked the two threads just in case.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Whitehouse

You are right Henry Carpenter is the slippery one, thanks for linking them, Regards Richard