Thread: de Noke?

Loves to help with queries

Default de Noke?

I have a Dunning family of Dorset in my tree and some other trees have the name Dunning de Noke. The only place named Noke I can find is in Oxford and there is nothing on its website about the Dunning family.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Many thanks
    Mary

Jan1954

In St Albans, there is a hotel called The Noke. I always understood this to mean "of the Oak", referring to the trees that were once much in abundance in the area. Perhaps the name de Noke comes from the same root - so to speak....

Paul Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C View Post
    I have a Dunning family of Dorset in my tree and some other trees have the name Dunning de Noke. The only place named Noke I can find is in Oxford and there is nothing on its website about the Dunning family.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Many thanks
    Mary
    Dorset OPC have burials for Buckland Newton (1654-1812) and in there is a reference to a Henry Foot, son of John Foot of Noke who was buried 10th November 1687.

There are several other references to Noke in the other online records on that site too.

So probably worth looking in the Buckland Newton area for a settlement with that name (long since gone I shouldn't wonder) ...

Buckland Newton Parish (Dorset OPC)

Paul

Paul Marshall

Also on this site: https://www.
    dorsetshire.com/old/oldbuckland.html
    (Old Buckland Newton) there is reference to a farm/hamlet described as Noake (Noke, Nooke).

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the image to the left (list of late 19th century roads, etc)

Paul
    Last edited by Jan1954; 11-02-2013 at 3:48 PM. Reason: Website asks for donations.

Reputation beyond repute

Noake Farmouse, Buckland Newton DT2 7DJ (Use Google or Bing maps).

Changed hands for £470,000 in 2005.

Paul Marshall

In the 1861 census there were three Enumeration Districts for Newton Buckland.

District 3 consisted of "All that part of the Parish of Buckland Newton comprising Buckland Tything, Knowle Tything, Brockhampton Tything & Duntish Tything including Henley, Rue, Brockhampton, Bookham, Noake, Bewley Wood, Duntish Common, Castle Hill, Revels Inn, Clinger Farm & Cottages in Cosmore Common."

Also known as "Noake" in later census enumerator's books.

Paul

Loves to help with queries

Many thanks to you all - I now have Noke (Noake) placed in Dorset which is great.
    Mary