Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Tracing Military Cross Records

Herbert James Thom 5 D Gards & Royal Scotts ? serial no. G/S 19065 was awarded the Military Cross in WW1, is there any where I can find the citation for this award.

Mutley

I have found his medal card that shows he received the Victory and 15 Star, I presume you have that.
    For the Military Cross, according to the National Archives you need to look in the London Gazette.

Military Cross London Gazette (ZJ 1) online. Recommendations (WO 373) online (1939-1990). See also series AIR 1, WO 32 or WO 389 (indexed by WO 389/9-24).

Mutley

Wikipedia also have a listing of the recipients of the Military Cross but I cannot see his name listed there.
    https://en.wikipedia.
    org/wiki/Category:Recipients_of_the_Military_Cross

pattenwalsh

Cannot find any mention in The London Gazette but did pick him up in the Dundee Courier 5th June 1918 when he was awarded The Military Cross in the Kings Birthday List.He is given as being in the Royal Scots.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Not wanting to appear flippant, try the Edinburgh Gazette!

CanadianCousin

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Wikipedia also have a listing of the recipients of the Military Cross ...
    Please note that this is not a complete list (my uncle's not there for one).

Tim

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Tracing Military Cross Records

My Great Uncle, Capt. Herbert James Thom 19065 Scots Regiment was awarded the Military Cross in WW1 can anyone please find the citation for this award.

Hello
    Forces War Records (owners of Brit-Gen) give this information about WW1 citations.

"Citations for the M.C. were published in the London Gazette during the Great War. However if the M.C. was a King’s Birthday or New Year award, details were not published and in most cases will not be available."

If you put the name in to the green banner at the top of this page you will be taken to FWR's basic result page which gives you the date of the award which will help when searching the London Gazette Here

At the top of the same page there is a banner with Home, Search, Community, Shop etc. If you click on Community a drop down menu gives a link to the free forums where you can ask for help.

Christanel

usernick

And, in this case, it was during the King's Birthday in 1918 (according to the Dundee Courier of 5th June 1918).

Cheers,

Nick

CanCan

From the University of Edinburgh Roll of Honour 1914-1918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast