Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Please

lynnelay

Only had time to look at the maps so far. What wonderful instructions. Thanks I have found both streets. Any ideas on St John's Place . I think it was off East John St near Whitevale. There in 1851 seems to have gone by 1861. Thanks again.

malcolm99

Hello lynnelay

Well there are some 1857-58 maps but each one covers such a small area that it's very difficult to find a particular street if you're not quite sure where it's near. I had a go last night but had to give up - but I'll see if I can find Whitevale and have a butchers in that area.

malcolm99

Got it! - give me half an hour and I'll be back to you.

malcolm99

Look at this>

https://maps.
    nls.uk/townplans/view/?sid=74416303&mid=glasgow_1_northeast#sid=74416303 &mid=glasgow_1_northeast&zoom=5&lat=5806&lon=7682& layers=BT

Does it show St John's church and St John's Place? If not I'll do something different

malcolm99

So you remember this

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Calton Entry
    1. On the same map go to Monteith Row again but go the other way up (north west) to the junction with St Mungo Street.
    2. Go to Gallowgate at the end of St Mungo Street
    3. Turn right into Gallowgate and the 1st street on the right is Kent Street. The next ‘street’ is unnamed but is clearly shown as a crescent road running down into Moncur Street. That is Calton Entry.
    1. Just get as far as Kent Street. Then carry on down Gallowgate a wee bit and on the left there is McFarlane Street.
    2. At the other end of McFarlane Street is St John’s Church. St John’s Place is the blank space on the left of the church as we look at it.

Going back to the 1857 map - https://
    tinyurl.com/ae52psn - St John’s Church is towards the top of the map where the building line stops.

Calton Entry is shown at the bottom of the map not far from the left hand corner.

malcolm99

As it’s handy....

The rest of Calton Entry is on this 1857 map. In the top Left Hand corner running left to right are South St Mungo Street, Kent Street and then the rest of Calton Entry (by the Timber Yard).

See: https://
    tinyurl.com/ax9ztqf

malcolm99

Afterthought....

Quote Originally Posted by lynnelay View Post
    My 3x Great Grand mother, Charlotte FLETCHER (nee SMITH) died in 1856 at 5, St John's Place Glasgow. The death reg says it is off **** John Street. (Maybe East).
    I know this St John’s Place does not appear to be "off **** John Street. (Maybe East)” but I think it could be the right place as it’s so close to Craignestock Street and Calton Entry. I suspect the Mitchell Library could help you with this if you wanted to follow it up.

lynnelay

Thank you! Thankyou! Thank you! that is much better place for her to be closer to family and friends. Do we know if St John's Church is still there?? or any photos of the area. Thanks again.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by lynnelay View Post
    Do we know if St John's Church is still there?? or any photos of the area.
    St John's Church is long gone. Most of the area was redeveloped in the 19th Century and it looks as though St John's went then. I think I've only come across 1 reference to it and that was about its minister in 1823.

The Mitchell Library is the place to ask but if you put Calton into the search box on this page you'll get some old-ish pictures of the area (but not contemporaneous with your original enquiry).

https://www.
    mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=district

lynnelay

Hi, It's me again. Is it possible for you to find Double Dykes in Glasgow. Hugh was there in 1812 to 1818. In 1807 he was in Gibson St. I have this info from the Post Office Directories.
    Thanks in anticipation Lynne

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast