Castanea1985

Default John Nolan b. 1906 Manchester?

My grandfather, John Nolan was born in October 1906 in Manchester. He was taken as a baby/child to live with a family on Albert Royd Street in Rochdale. In the 1911 census he was listed as John Hopkins!
    The head of the family in Rochdale and the lady who we were told that took him in was Rachel Shore, née Howarth, née Holt. Her son Samuel and his wife Gertie were living there as well with there two children.
    When Rachel died in 1913, my Grandfather went to live with Samuel and Gertie for a short time, before being adopted by Samuels sister and her husband, Sarah Ellen and Arthur Swain, who lived round the corner on Roch Street. My grandfather married from there in 1930.
    The family 'story' was that his mother was an Irish singer (hence Nolan) and his father was an army officer!
    When my grandfather turned 12, his birth mother came back for him, taking him back to Manchester? So he could work and earn money for her! He found he had a half brother at the time, but didn't stay and made his way back to the Howarth family, where he was looked after and given the opportunity to do a bakery apprentichip.
    Amazingly, about 4 years ago, I found living descendants from Rachel and they confirmed that John Swain did live with Rachel and we all concluded that their must be a family tie! But as yet, we haven't found it!
    There must be a reason why he lived with the Howarth family? How did his mother know where to come back to when he was 12 (he'd moved house 3 times), unless she knew the family?
    I have done DNA tests for male descendants of both my grandfathers and from Rachel's but alas there was no match on he male DNA side. I did get a good match (3/4 generations) for a family named Manchip.
    So the question is, who was my grandfathers parents??

georgiep

What a fascinating story about John. I wish you all the best with your search.
    Rachel Howarth married Thomas Shore in 1894 at St Chads Rochdale.
    Not much help.
    I can't find John Nolan born Manchester or districts.
    Do you have any further info please? Tks
    Georgiep

Castanea1985

https://zoeftf.tribalpages.com/tribe/...86&pid=6&ver=4

This is a family tree to show my grandfather and his adopted family. The password is swain.