Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Default Re-opening of a grave

I am researching Gertrude Emma Wills. I have a copy of her death certificate, so know she died on 4th December 1991 in Eltham, London.

I have been unable to find a marriage record for her, or a record of any children. Her sister, Violet Delahunty died the following year, and I believe their brother is my grandfather (see separate Brickwall thread here. I am essentially looking for living relatives.

Anyway, back to Gertrude Emma Wills. Deceasedonline shows her burial at Greenwich Cemetery, and shows she was buried with one Hilda Ada Mason, who died 2 months earlier. This is a new name in my research and currently means nothing.

Can anyone give me any clues as to why Gertrude might have been buried with someone other than a relative? Or should I assume Hilda is a relative?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Can anyone give me any clues as to why Gertrude might have been buried with someone other than a relative? Or should I assume Hilda is a relative?
    Hi Jonesy,

Never assume that someone buried with a relative/ancestor is also a relative/ancestor. Have a read of post #3 in Terry's thread here and you will see what I mean.

Your next mission seems to me to be to try to find out as much as you can about Hilda Ada Mason.

Unfortunately, this lady perhaps is of no relevance to you. If you purchased a plot of land - you could decide who to have buried there. This does sound like what is called a common grave. Perhaps your Gertrude did not have a lot of money for her burial I do not know too much about these graves though. But I do have ancestors who were not always buried together.
    pejay

Jan1954

I have just dug out some paperwork that referred to my great, great grandfather's grave. Caleb Goldsmith was buried with 2 "unknowns" and the details that I had from the cemetery were: Buried at Ocklynge Cemetery, grave number J 434 General. Unfortunately there is no headstone for him as the grave was classed as a common grave. In the grave also are John Pope and Fillippo Paciti. After the burial of John Pope, also a common burial, the grave was then purchased by the family of Fillippo Paciti who has no headstone.

So, is there a headstone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post

So, is there a headstone?
    I'm not sure, but the Burial Register shows the grave described as "1st" for class of ground, and "consecrated", as opposed to general ground.

Quote Originally Posted by pejay View Post
    Unfortunately, this lady perhaps is of no relevance to you. If you purchased a plot of land - you could decide who to have buried there. This does sound like what is called a common grave. Perhaps your Gertrude did not have a lot of money for her burial I do not know too much about these graves though. But I do have ancestors who were not always buried together.
    Would a common grave have only 2 people in it?

I think they can take up to three,
    pejay

Knowledgeable and helpful

The rules and capacity of grave plots vary with the cemetery
    A grave plot could be dug 18 foot deep and hold 15 bodies or it could be shallow and only have room for one.
    A common grave (sometimes called a public grave or even a pauper grave) could be commemorated with a headstone or the cemetery rule could prohibit headstones on common graves (popular rule as it gives the cemetery a less crowded look).

1st Class or private graves normally have the right to erect a headstone but some families do not erect headstones.

There are no hard and fast rules covering all cemeteries researchers must contact the cemetery or research the particular rules for the cemetery concerned.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Dizzy600

My great grandfather is buried in a 'guinea grave' aka common grave. It had no headstone but some of the other common surrounding did have so, we asked about having a headstone erected but was told that we could only do that if we named everyone that was in the grave with him. Surprisingly, they told us we could have a tablet stone erected with just his details on, which we have now done and it is a fitting memorial to a man who was an Olympic Gold Medalist and Music Hall Artiste/Comedian.

It always pays to ask...

Karen

Reputation beyond repute

It is often possible to pick up clues from the death certificate. For example, details of the informant and the informant's and the deceased's usual addresses. This may lead to electoral registers. Probate records may also be helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast