Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spindlow

amy928

My maiden name is Spindlow. My grandfather was James Edwin, and his father's name was Jessie Edgar Spindlow, and his parents were Norah Ellen Pratley and James Edward Spindlow. And that is as far as I know. I don't know if that helps or not since I don't know where they came from, except England in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by suzan View Post
    Has anyone got any Spindlows in there family tree? I am interested in the Spindlows from Ducklington Oxfordshire. I have a Annie or Ann Spindlow who married George Wickson and also a Noble Spindlow who could be her brother.

Coromandel

Hi amy928 and welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by amy928 View Post
    My maiden name is Spindlow. My grandfather was James Edwin, and his father's name was Jessie Edgar Spindlow, and his parents were Norah Ellen Pratley and James Edward Spindlow. And that is as far as I know. I don't know if that helps or not since I don't know where they came from, except England in general.
    With a Pratley as well as a Spindlow there just have to be Oxfordshire connections! Luckily for you, there's an encyclopaedic website about the Pratleys. Nora(h) Ellen even has her own page there: www. pratley.info/person/detail.php?person=1102
    This confirms that she's the one you want, for the marriage details and place of death fit with what you already know. It will also take your Pratley roots back several generations!

Our census detectives will no doubt be able to fill in more about the Spindlow side of the family.

Coromandel

The Pratley website I mentioned in the previous post has full details of the marriage of James Spindlow and 'Norah Eleanor' Pratley, at Hailey, Oxfordshire on 4 November 1878. This shows that James was the son of Edward Spindlow, labourer.

The 1881 census transcript (which you can see on the FamilySearch website) shows James Spindlow as 25 years old and as born in Ducklington.

So we're looking for a James Spindlow born about 1856 in Ducklington, son of Edward.

It seems likely that he is the James Spindlow whose birth was registered in the Witney district (which included Ducklington) in the first quarter of 1857 according to the FreeBMD website. You could send off for a copy of the birth certificate for full details. Do ask if you don't know how to do this.

However, you may not have to look further than post #6 of this thread for more about James, for there in Ducklington on the 1861 census is a James Spindlow, son of Edward, who fits the bill very nicely.

Robert Holt

Suzan,
    Yes!, I have loads of Spindlows in my family tree, my grandmother on my mothers side was Jane Spindlow b. 1872 in Ducklington, Oxon. Her brothers and sisters were:- James Edward b 1857, Abraham b. 1858, Ann b.1861, Elizabeth Ann b. 1864,
    Joshua 1867, Henry b.1869, and Noble b.1874, Their parents were Edward & Mary Ann Spindlow ( nee Solles), all born in Ducklington.
    Nobles grave is in Ducklingtons extention cemetary, in front of the Church, he died aged 75, my Grandmother Jane died in 1942.
    If you trace the family tree deeper be carefull as both Edward Spindlow b.1830 and his brother Charles Spindlow b. 1822, had a son called Joshua, one born in 1862 the other in 1867, this threw me for ages, enjoy your searching, Bob Holt.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234