Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spindlow

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    Could that perhaps be the Edward SPINDLOVE who married Mary Anne SOLLEY in 1856?

Another Ducklington marriage which might be of interest - John SPINDLOW married Elizabeth MINTCHIN in 1821.
    Peter, I think you've given Suzan a couple of good leads...

Suzan, there's a 70 year old widow named Sarah SOLLEY living on Church Lane in the 1861 census for Headlington, Oxfordshire. She's listed as a midwife born in Great Barrington, Gloucestershire. Worthwhile keeping this entry in mind in case the SOLLEY connection pans out.

Trish

Reputation beyond repute

"I think the 66 year old widow Elizabeth must be Edward's mother"

So do I!

In the 1851 census:

Elizabeth SPINDLOW, Hd, Wid, 56, Ag Lab, Ducklington
    Edward SPINDLOW, Son, Unm, 21, Ag Lab, Ducklington

Reputation beyond repute

In the 1851 census:

Elizabeth SPINDLOW, Hd, Wid, 56, Ag Lab, Ducklington
    Edward SPINDLOW, Son, Unm, 21, Ag Lab, Ducklington

Forgot to mention the reference - HO 107/1731 Fo 576 Pg 19

suzan

Smile spindlow

Thank you everyone you have been a great help. And should anyone live near Ducklington church, and are passing anytime,
    I would be interested to know if there is a mention of Noble in there.
    This really is a great site.

Suzan.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    I would imagine that her occupation, as stated [ag. lab.] is an error
    Not necessarily, many women worked on farms in the 19th century - those with babies often carrying them on their backs as they did so - dishing out the odd 'penny stick' (basically a chew laced with opium) to keep them quiet whilst teething.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    Not necessarily, many women worked on farms in the 19th century - those with babies often carrying them on their backs as they did so - dishing out the odd 'penny stick' (basically a chew laced with opium) to keep them quiet whilst teething.

Geoffers
    Opium, you say?!!

Oh, I know, it's foolish to make assumptions -- but I just thought, looking at the image on this one, that the enumerator might have gotten fairly carried away with writing "Ag. Lab." all down the column and that odds were that Elizabeth, a 66 year old grandmother, probably wasn't working in the fields.

Trish

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Opium, you say?!!
    Wars were fought over its supply. Rather than highjack this thread, I've create a new thread on the Norfolk forum with a few snippets, in case you're interested.
    See https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ead.php?t=7750
    Geoffers

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by suzan
    Thank you everyone you have been a great help. And should anyone live near Ducklington church, and are passing anytime,
    I would be interested to know if there is a mention of Noble in there.
    Next time I'm near Witney, I'll make a detour to Ducklington and have a browse. It might not be 'till next week though.

Glad to read that you liked Charlbury. If you visit again, you have my contact details, feel free to ask for directions/pointers.

Also, for forward planning, Witney library has a small but useful local history section with census returns, directories, photos, etc. Worth knowing as it saves a tedious trip into the dreaded Oxford.

Geoffers

suzan

Thumbs up spindlows

Thanks, I will take you up on that, and maybe you will be able to tell me the best times to go into witney. We tried on the Saturday morning and there was a queue of traffic, so I gave up and went to enysham instead. We caught a bus into oxford and went on a shopping spree.

Suzan,

I see 17 year old Noble and family [parents Edward and Mary, brother Joshua] popping up in the 1891 census. Do you have this info?

With the family is Edward's 6 year old granddaughter, Eva WICKSON or WICKSEN who's listed as a "Boarder Scholar". [Reference RG12/1176 Folio 46]

So perhaps Eva is Ann Elizabeth SPINDLOW's daughter...

And... also in the 1891 census, there's 26 year old Ann E. WICKSON living in Kirtlington, Oxfordshire with her husband George and children Rosa and Owen. George is a shepherd. If you don't have this info, I can give you a full transcription. [Reference RG12/1170 Folio 20]

Ann is in the 1901 census as Annie E. WICKSON with husband George and children Rosa, Owen, Florence, Ethel, Emily, Fred and Edith. [RG13/1402 Folio 50] Meanwhile, Eva WICKSON is a servant in the household of Jane TARRANT in Witney, Oxfordshire. [RG13/1396 Folio 11]

HTH,
    Trish
    Last edited by Trish; 10-08-2005 at 5:53 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast