Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary Spaul

Loves to help with queries

Default Mary Spaul

Trying to find the Birth details for Mary Spaul, would be around 1827-1828 in Costessey Forehoe Norfolk.

Mary married John Cheadle at the Catholic Chapel, Swynnerton on 12.Jan.1857 and
    named her father as Charles.

Mary died 18 July 1891 at Stanhope Mews Kensington London, age given as 64.

Appreciate any help.
    Thank you

Swynnerton is in Staffordshire. Sorry the Marriage Certificate says Warwick.

malcolm99

Well just on the offchance I’ve checked the Baptism registers of the CofE Parish Church in Costessey (then better known as Cossey), but she’s not there.

Cossey has its own RC chapel (St Walstan’s) but this wasn’t built until 1841.

This site (which is a very reliable site) says that there were about 400 Roman Catholics living in Costessey in about 1820 and that most of them worked at Costessey Hall which had its own RC chaplain:
    https://www.
    norfolkchurches.co.uk/costesseyrc/costesseyrc.htm

She may have been baptised in the Hall’s chapel. Unfortunately I don’t know where the records for this are kept- perhaps someone else does.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    She may have been baptised in the Hall's chapel. Unfortunately I don't know where the records for this are kept- perhaps someone else does.
    I think that these are the same records as mentioned on GENUKI: The Catholic Registers of Costessey or Cossey Hall, Norfolk: the seat of the Jerningham family, baronets: 1785-1821. [Catholic Record Society Miscellanea XII, 1921]

I wonder if they would go up to the date for Mary, though.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    She may have been baptised in the Hall's chapel. Unfortunately I don't know where the records for this are kept- perhaps someone else does.
    There are references online to a CD with records from its registers; I think this may be too early for gardenpest29, though: the dates quoted are 1785-1821. Perhaps the Norfolk Record Office or the church would be able to advise if there are any surviving Catholic registers for Costessey between 1821 and 1841.

Perhaps Mary's father was employed by the Jerningham family of Costessey Hall. Interestingly, in light of where Mary Spaul married, I see that the family also had connections at Swynnerton. See this description of the 'Jermingham Papers' at Staffordshire Record Office (ref. D641/3):

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A...d641_2&cid=1#1

This also refers to other Jermingham papers held elsewhere (including at the Norfolk Record Office).

Thank you all for your quick response. Lots here for me review and search, once again Thank you.

malcolm99

I think that these are the same records as mentioned on GENUKI: The Catholic Registers of Costessey or Cossey Hall, Norfolk: the seat of the Jerningham family, baronets: 1785-1821. [Catholic Record Society Miscellanea XII, 1921]

I wonder if they would go up to the date for Mary, though.
    Unfortunately these records stop in 1821 - someone up there doesn't like us!

malcolm99

I've sent you a PM (private message)

Thank you Malcolm99.
    I have my cup of Tea and at least an hour of peace and quite so plenty of time to read your message.
    Much appreciated.
    K.

malcolm99

Well this is all very frustrating. The Spaul(l)s were undoubtedly Roman Catholics and at least 10 of them married in Cossey Parish Church between 1794 and 1831. There are also several burials over the years and written evidence in the Burial Register shows that the perpetual curate of the parish had no problems with RC burials in his churchyard.

What is lacking is any record of Charles Spaul’s marriage although it’s possible that he makes an appearance here as a witness at Richard Spaull’s marriage in 1821>

https://familysearch.
    org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11663-146845-86?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-3XW:n189713337

Cossey/Costessey Parish doesn’t seem as though it’s going to be a lot of help with this.

P.S. Just in case you didn’t know, at this period if Roman Catholics (and other dissenters) were not married in a CofE church then their children would not be legitimate – that’s one of the main reasons why a family like the Spauls married in the local Parish Church.

Coromandel

On gardenpest29's thread about this family on Genes Reunited, there's an interesting 1841 census with a Charles & Hannah Spaul in Costessey. It doesn't look like there's a Mary with them, but there is an Ambrose Spaul (aged 10) who apparently turns up with Mary later in London. Both Charles & Hannah are shown as 40 on the 1841 census:

https://www.
    genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1313245

A poster on that thread has spotted the marriage of a Charles Spaule and Hannah Poole at Norwich St Gregory on Christmas Day 1820, on FamilySearch. FamilySearch also has an image of the Bishop's transcript, at the top of the right-hand page here:

https://
    familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14264-1293-23?cc=1823613&wc=9019816

This shows that Charles & Hannah were both single and both 'of this parish' at the time of the marriage, which was after banns. The witnesses were George Sydell(?) and Sophia Goldsmith.

Unfortunately the edge of the image (or perhaps the edge of the page?) seems to be cut off. At the moment I am getting an error message when I try to view the next image, no. 118.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast