Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary Spaul

malcolm99

Part 2 -

Marriage St Thomas, Marylebone 31st December 1863
    Ambrose Spaul, full age, bachelor, stable keeper, 8 Henrietta Street, Cavendish Square. Father Charles Spaul, woodman.
    Anne Southcott, full age, spinster, 33 Edwards Street. Father Robert Southcott, coachman.
    Witnesses: James Ward[?] & Ann Watts

So well done Coromandel. Charles was woodman in 1851 & Mary (as Mary Cheadle) was a ‘time keeper at stables’ in 1881 ( RG11/45 fol. 22 p.35) & 1891 (RG12/32 fol.134 p. 8).

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    1871 Census: Address: Bute Street Andrews Spaul, Head, married, 41, Job Master[?], born Norfolk
    The 1882 P.O. directory for London has an Ambrose Spaul, jobmaster at 'Bute street, South Kensington SW & Stanhope mews west, South Kensington SW'.

There's also a Gregory Spaul at the Queen's Head P.H., 20A Park Side, Knightsbridge in the same directory. From the LDS 1881 census (RG 11/98, f.5, p.4) he was born about 1833 in Norfolk, so he sounds like the one in Cossey in 1841.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    There's what looks like another marriage of the same couple in the same district in the next quarter (Anne this time indexed as Southcote).
    Well from what I can see, I can only suspect that this is their RC marriage - there's nothing else on Ancestry.

malcolm99

Ambrose Spaul is on the 1873 Electoral register at 1 Bute Street, Brompton/Kensington – and is still there at least until 1898.

In 1881 (and later) he is listed as having 2 other houses at Justice Walk, Lawrence Street, Cheyne Walk. He appears to have move to 11 Pond Place, Chelsea by at least 1900 and then to 1 Worcester Gardens Clapham by 1902.
    A Percy Ambrose Spaul is registered at 1 Worcester Gardens as from 1906 and an Ambrose Spaul is now at 17 Mountgrove Road, Islington until at least 1915.

Percy Ambrose Spaul married Esther Lydia Batsford in Wandsworth RD Sep Q 1904 but the marriage is not on Ancestry.

I’ll pause there.

Coromandel

I think I’ve come across where the answer is - which is the Norfolk Record Office . . . On the 2nd page of results are some interesting records including the parish registers 1785 – 1896 and also ‘Registers and Status Animarum Books’ (records 18 & 21).
    Good find, malcolm99. 'Status Animarum' books sound interesting: I have never heard of them until today.

I see that the Catholic parish registers include death/burial records. A description of Costessey/Cossey in an 1854 directory notes that there is a 'large burial ground' attached to the 'handsome Catholic chapel, completed in 1841'.

https://
    apling.freeservers.com/Villages/Costessey54.htm

It also refers to a 'Catholic School, built in 1820, and conducted on the Lancasterian system . . . for the education of 120 children.' If its records survive they might make interesting reading.

Off to Google 'Lancasterian system' as I've never heard of that either . . .

malcolm99

So Ambrose married again in Dec Q 1878 to Augusta Fanny Parsons and they are in the 1881 Census at RG11/48 fol.20 p.15.

I suspect gardenpest may already have some, if not all, of this later information.

malcolm99

The death of a 73 year old Hannah Spaul was registered in the Kensington district in the second quarter of 1871. There's a good chance she was still alive for the 1871 census, taken on 2 April.
    So following up my #20 - this is pretty certainly Charles's wife & Mary's mum (I thought I'd better just record this) - despite what her age is given as on the 1851 Census.

malcolm99

There's also a Gregory Spaul at the Queen's Head P.H., 20A Park Side, Knightsbridge in the same directory. From the LDS 1881 census (RG 11/98, f.5, p.4) he was born about 1833 in Norfolk, so he sounds like the one in Cossey in 1841.
    1881 Census: RG11/98 fol.5 p.4

Address: 20 Parkside, Knightsbridge

Gregory Spaul, Head, married, 48, Licensed Victualler, born Cossay, Norfolk
    Esther Spaul, wife, married, 55, born Powerstock, Dorset
    Charles Spaul, son, unmarried, 24, Residing with parents, born Ingrave, Essex
    Agnes Spaul, daughter, unmarried, 21, Residing with parents, born Cavershall, Stafford(?)
    Susan Spaul, niece, unmarried, 21, Barmaid, born Portland, Dorset
    Jessie Buck, niece, unmarried, 24, Drapers Saleswoman, born Southampton
    + 2 servants

1891 Census: RG12/71 fol. 4 p. 4

Same address (it’s the ‘Queen’s Arms’) & only Gregory & Esther and some servants and some Essex visitors are there.

1901 Census: RG13/37 fol. 42 p. 6

Address: 186 Finborough Road, South Kensington

Gregory & Esther + Agnes Fleischer (widowed daughter) and her 2 sons. Funnily enough for the next house there is a note ‘ Mr Fleischer out of Town’.

Gregory appears to have died in Kensington RD Jun Q 1915 aged 82 (which fits nicely).

malcolm99

The death of a 67 year old Charles Spaul was registered in the Forehoe district in the last quarter of 1867. Is this 'our' Charles? If so he ought to be on the 1861 census somewhere.
    ...et voilà...

1861 Census: RG9/1221 fol. 25 p. 10

Address: Bee-Hive Lodge, Costessey

Charles Spaul, Head, married, 61, Labourer or Woodman [sic], born Norfolk, Cossey
    Hannah Spaul, wife, married, 63, born Norfolk, Norwich St Juliam [sic]

Time for fodder I think....

Coromandel

...et voilà...

1861 Census: RG9/1221 fol. 25 p. 10

Address: Bee-Hive Lodge, Costessey

Charles Spaul, Head, married, 61, Labourer or Woodman [sic], born Norfolk, Cossey
    Hannah Spaul, wife, married, 63,, born Norfolk, Norwich St Juliam [sic]
    Ah, very well spotted; it is good to have tidied up that loose end.

Here's an old photo of Bee-hive Lodge, a most unusual little building:

https://
    joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/beehive-lodge/

Time for fodder I think....
    Enjoy your lunch: you've earned it!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast