Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Default Samuel Whitbread, Godfrey & Thomas Shewell

I am trying to find details of Godfrey and Thomas Shewell. Samuel Whitbread went into partnership with them in 1742. Godfrey left in 1748 and Thomas was bought out by Samuel in 1761. Where did the Shewells come from and what happened to them after they left?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Jan1954

Hello Peter,

Have you contacted Whitbread themselves? They may have some background information on the Shewells in their archives. Worth a try...

https://www.
    whitbread.co.uk/whitbread/aboutus/contactus.html

Thanks Jan, helpful as ever.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    Godfrey left in 1748
    A2A includes catalogues of Whitbread family papers at Bedfordshire & Luton Archives. The description of Samuel Whitbread's diary for 1770 (ref. W/3932/5) says 'Pages removed. Mainly blank except for a note on flyleaf "Godfrey Shewell died 2 July 1748 Aged ..." '

'The London Magazine, or Gentleman's Monthly Intelligencer', vol. 17 (on Google Books) announces the death in 1748 of 'Mr. Godfrey Shewell, a brewer in Islington-road, suddenly.'

So that was probably the end of his career.

Coromandel

A fascinating little booklet, 'Founder's London A-Z' was produced by the Friends of the St Bride Printing Library in 1998:

https://stbride.org/friends/publications/gazette.pdf

It has many references to type-founder William Caslon (I) whose daughter Mary married Godfrey Shewell. She later married Thomas Hanby or Hanbey. The Caslon family tomb in the churchyard at St Luke's, Old Street, is 'maintained by the Worshipful Company of Ironmongers under the terms of a bequest made by William Caslon I's daughter, Mary Hanby.' according to the notes under the heading 'Old Street' (p.26).

Mary Caslon's marriage to Godfrey Shewell must have been very short-lived, if he is the same Godfrey who died in 1748: FamilySearch has the marriage as being on 11 Feb 1747 at St Giles, Cripplegate. There's also a possible baptism for Godfrey, on 11 April 1717 at St Matthew, Friday Street, London; parents Joseph & Mary. Joseph & Mary had several other children baptised at the same church from 1715 to 1720, then perhaps two more at St Giles Cripplegate in 1722 and 1723. Unfortunately there's not a Thomas on the list.

terrysfamily

There is a little about them here

aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=13387&inst_id=118

and some here too

themontcalmlondoncity.co.uk/The-Montcalm-At-The-Brewery.pdf

here too

https://
    aheadinahat.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/brewing-in-london.html

Thank you to both of you for your very helpful replies. Looks like it's time to get digging.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

Hello Peter. A little late to be replying, but I presume you’ve found out that the Shewells were Quakers, so the extensive archive at Friends House in London should be able to help your research.

Hello Jonathan
    Thank you for rekindling my interest on the Shewell family. I had got to the stage where I thought that there must have been two people called Thomas Shewell. One who was the partner of Samuel Whitbread and the other the partner of Henry Masterman. But I could not seem to be able to take things further. After your message I decided to have another look. Godfrey Shewell was the son of Joseph Shewell and his wife Mary, nee Godfrey. Godfrey died aged about 28/29 and was buried at Ware, Herts. The PR shows the church’s costs for the funeral. My interest is in Thomas. I thought that once he had left the Whitbread partnership he set up in partnership with Henry Masterman. However, there are records of bankrupt proceedings for Thomas and Henry while Thomas was still with Whitbread. Would that have been possible at that time? “My” Thomas married Lydia Etheridge. Their daughter, Lydia, married Samuel Nicholl. At the time, Samuel was the curate at Bix in Oxfordshire and went on to be vicar of Sutton Courtney.
    As far as Quakers are concerned, I did come across Edward Shewell in 1808 who had himself and all of his family baptised, St Mary Lambeth. So, I did wonder whether it was a change in church.
    So, I am still at a loss as to whether there is only one Thomas Shewell, or is it two?
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

Famous for offering help & advice

The will of Thomas Shewell dated 23 Dec 1769 makes several mentions of Samuel Whitbread, and quickly reading it I think Thomas was god-parent to at least one of Samuel's children. There are mentions of various of Thomas's brothers & sisters, but no mention of a wife or daughter. This would suggest to me that there are two different Thomas Shewell's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast