Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    jules67

Well, nobody in the family seemed to know the names of either of Williams parents. I only discovered his father was Daniel after buying the marriage cert. The problem is William Thomas Roberts is a remarkably common name.....and so is Daniel Roberts!! lol.

I just wish i could find something between 1891 and 1905 to confirm they are infact the same person.....but thats when the ages start to fluctuate......I think he told a few porkies along the way...and not just about his age!

jules67

Mutley....no I havent found them in 1871. But its probable David is a son by a previous wife? or maybe Ann,s from a previous husband?

Mutley

I am not familar with the Welsh districts but seeing as I am struggling with the sons I thought I would take a look at their father Daniel.
    He states born 1836 Henllan, Denbighshire which does not seem that far south of St. Asaph, Rhuddlan and Rhyl.

Would it be likely that there were several Daniel Roberts born there about 1836?

I have found one in 1851 living in Llandyrnog who is the son of Griffith (a farmer) and Harriet.
    Living with them is an Uncle David and Daniel has a sister named Anne who is only 9 months old. There is also a servant named Edward Roberts.
    HO107/Piece 2505 Folio 209

Perhaps it is worth putting one side until we have found a bit more. The marriage found by Mark would be useful to see.

Mutley

If the above is him then this also is possible for Daniel in 1861 in Llandyrnog.
    Griffith Roberts age 50 b. Llanganhafal
    Harriet Roberts age 46 b. Henllan
    Daniel Roberts age 25, son b. Llanganhafal
    Catherine Roberts age 6, dau b. Llandyrnog
    Joseph Lloyd age 16. Servant
    Thomas Williams age 15. Servant
    Hannah Jones age 20. Servant
    Moses Pierce age 25. Visitor
    RG9/4294/16/2

jules67

Daniel Roberts was a hugely common name, especially in the Denbigh/Henllan area. They are dozens. most are farm labourers of some sort. Rhyl at that time was a very new town, most of the 'local' Rhyl people (so they say) are decendents from 5 families that settled here from Henllan to work at the brickworks when it first opened. and yes you guessed.....at least one of those families were Roberts.....

jules67

Thank you all so much for your help this evening. I do have a family line for Daniel that I have been given by a member on another site. Again....much of it fits but i'm not sure its my family. I shall look it up tomorrow and post.....although to be honest I didnt persue it much.....I need to be certain I have Williams parents correct before i spend too much time going back further. x

jules67

Sorry mutley, only just seen your last post. Its not the same line as the one i have, another possiblity!

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by jules67 View Post
    Daniel Roberts was a hugely common name, especially in the Denbigh/Henllan area. They are dozens. most are farm labourers of some sort. Rhyl at that time was a very new town, most of the 'local' Rhyl people (so they say) are decendents from 5 families that settled here from Henllan to work at the brickworks when it first opened. and yes you guessed.....at least one of those families were Roberts.....
    Oh dear! then the backward steps with certificates is the only way to be sure, that is, when you can find them!
    Often you have to buy those of family members that are not your direct line, siblings to find a mother for example.

Being as you live in the area, is there a local church that may help you regarding parish records?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by jules67 View Post
    Daniel Roberts was a hugely common name, especially in the Denbigh/Henllan area. They are dozens. most are farm labourers of some sort. .
    But the combination of Daniel as father with a son called William or William Thomas was not:
    1881 Census
    Flintshire - as per Mutley above and no others
    Denbighshire - 2 possibles; 1 in Ruabon and 1 in Abergele.

1871 Census
    1 example in each of Flintshire and Denbighshire.

jules67

I'll have to look into that one Mutley. Once again thanks all for you help....giving up for this evening x

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast