Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post

Mr. Cluer directed inquiries to be made and subsequently gave relief to the woman and
    referred her to the Press. She described her husband as a thick-set man, about 5ft. 3(?)in.
    in height, of fair complexion with blue eyes, and wearing light cloth trousers and vest,
    brown boots, and brown check coat. There were scars on the head, right cheek and left arm.[/indent]
    It appears the admirable Mr Cluer was a magistrate at Worship Street (later Old Street) Police Court.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    I’ve also checked Hackney Workhouse Religious Creed records 1896-1899...
    Nor anything for Ellen or any children in Shoreditch Workhouse or its infirmary etc.

Coromandel

You're doing sterling work on the poor law records, malcolm99, well done. I wish I could join in too: maybe it is time I stopped being so mean and got myself an Ancestry subscription.

P.S. thank you for checking the marriage details too.

malcolm99

maybe it is time I stopped being so mean ...
    - that would be totally unfair: it's hard enough keeping up with all your 'finds' during the week- it's only the weekend that gives the rest of us a chance to try and catch up with you

Sandra Parker

Thanks so much, I did have a bit of the info you've managed to locate, but none of the details. No wonder they missed the census.
    Will reply properly when I've taken it all in.
    Sandra

Sandra Parker

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    In the Hackney Union Register of Children, Ellen Chilver’s nearest relative is given as Mrs Chilvers, Grandmother, of 7 Gurley Street, Bromley-by-Bow.

At 7 Gurley Street on the 1901 Census there are members of both the Selby and Chilvers families and I suspect a link can be traced from there [RG13/345 fol. 28 p. 47]. I’ve got to disappear for a while now but this would be worth following up.
    Thanks Malcolm. You are quite right.
    Father John, seems to have disappeared in 1896. Mother Ellen died in 1898.
    Son Henry ,born 8th Feb 1890, baptised 25th Feb 1890 died June 1890.
    Son George lived with the Selby's in 1901 & 1911. Mary Ann Selby, nee Chilvers, was his father's sister. (I have this marriage cert)
    Son John/Jack?. I only have a couple of references to his name and the Baptism record.
    Alice May became a Barnardo's child and was sent to Canada in 1904 She died 15 Jul 1957 in Woodstock, Oxford, Ontario, Canada.
    Ellen/Nellie was in 1901 census transcription at Sidney Road Children's Homes Hackney Union, Sidney Road. 1911 census appears to find her as a servant of Augustus John Carter, a Waste Paper Merchant Manager. She is listed as a 'foundling'. She went on to marry a Railway worker in 1928. She died on 21 Jul 1987 in Royston, 55 Putney Hill, Putney. (am just in touch with a descendant in USA)

And all that came as a result of wonderful sleuthing by Coromandel and Malcolm99. So sincere thanks to you both.

Sandra whose spectacled aura agrees wholeheartedly and adds its thanks too.

Sandra Parker

From Reynolds's Newspaper, 20 September 1896, under the heading 'Yesterday's Police Cases'

A MISSING HUSBAND ......
    Hi Coramandel,
    I have tried to find this reference but haven't had any luck (or rather haven't looked in the right place obviously). Can you please tell me where you found it?
    Sandra

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Parker View Post
    I have tried to find this reference but haven't had any luck (or rather haven't looked in the right place obviously). Can you please tell me where you found it?
    Hi Sandra

My local library allows me log in to a collection called the British Library 19th Century Newspapers collection, provided by Gale Cengage, just by typing in my library card number. I have a vague memory of reading somewhere on the forum that members of the National Library of Australia could do the same. If you have an NLA card you could see if you can log in here:

https://www.
    nla.gov.au/app/eresources/item/4243

If that's no good, you can pay to see the paper via the British Newspaper Archive website. The same newspapers are now also available to Findmypast subscribers, I think, though the search form is much more basic.

Hope that helps!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Very interesting thread. My grandmother is, I believe, the Nellie Chilvers referenced here.

Welcome to BG, Loftus. I'm glad to see that you've found something useful already!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast