nataliew

Default millinery apprentice

I believe my 4 x great grandmother Sarah Farley was apprenticed to Mary A Southard of Oxford Street as a milliner in 1798. I've been lucky enough to find her trade card in an image collection from the British Museum. Any ideas how I may find out more? My understanding is that there wasn't a company of milliners and I may need to look at Clockmakers!
    Also there was a George Southard of Pall Mall / Marylebone also taking on millinery apprentices at the same time. Any ideas how I may find out if there was a family business?
    Many thanks!

Jan1954

Hi Natalie,

Have you read this TNA Research Guide to Apprentices?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Have you access to Ancestry - they have "UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811" ?

It does not tell you much more than you already know. The register is dated 21 July 1798.

There is also a record of a marriage to Hercules Wright on 26 Sept 1802 at Sunbury on Thames St Mary Surrey.

Finally "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 " lists her probate in 1860.

If you don't have any of these records let me know.

nataliew

Thanks Jan and Megan - yes, I have those. Megan, do you mean Sarah's probate or Mary Southard's? Sarah dies in 1846 (while married to Hercules, landlord of the Old Ship - she dies of liver failure. Hmmm... ;-)
    I'm wondering if I can find out more about who she was apprenticed to, that kind of life and whether I can find her parents from that!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Do you have her death certificate? There might be a clue there.

The probate record is for a Sarah Wright, and its the one that Ancestry suggests is associated with the Apprentice Record. I'll send you a copy by PM.

The parish record for her marriage simply says that both she and Hercules were of the parish they were married in.

A Hercules Wright was baptised 27 May 1787 at Andover, Hampshire, England. He was aged 2 and his parents were Hercules and Jane.

A Hercules Wright was baptised 1 Nov 1738 at Andover, Hampshire, England. His parents were William and Ann.

A Hercules Wright married Sarah Vickers on 3 Sep 1750 St Alfege, Kent.

Do you have the baptisms for Sarah Farley and Hercules Wright's children?