LilyAllenFan86

Default Edmonstone Origins

I am researching my Edmonstone family my nine times great Grandmother was a Katherine Edmonstone born in Stirlingshire possibly St Ninians she was one of three children born to Rev Robert Edmonstone and his wife Katherine Chrystie, Robert had himself been born in Stirlingshire in about 1621 a son of Rev James Edmonstone and his wife Katherine Masterson being one of five children the church was in their blood his two brothers John and James both joined the Church James being a minister at Dollar and James a Minister of Gargunnock in 1666.
    Robert himself had earned a Master of Arts from the university of Glasgow in 1642 and had been a minster of Culross which I believe is in Perthshire this in 1649 he died on July 17th 1683 at the age of sixty two, his Father James must have been born in about 1593 and had earned at Master of Atrs at the Universty of St.Andrews in 1612 and had been minister of St.Ninians in Stirling as well as Master of the Stirling grammar school at some point.
    What I am trying to discover is if they have any connection at all with the Edmonstone's of Duntreath my line ends with James and can find nothing to confirm of deny this theory I have, this is all the bits I know about from James maybe someone can help hopefully there is;
    Rev James married Katherine Masterson (d April 1655) had the following children;
    1, Rev Robert Edmonstone (c 1621-1683) married Katherine Chrystie, and had three children Katherine (who married a Rev Robert Wright who had joined the jacobite cause), Elizabeth in 1666 and James (who in 1676 was apprenticed to a merchant in Edinburgh)
    2, Rev James Edmonstone (c 1622-bef 6 May 1645) MA at Edinburgh University
    3, Rev John Edmonstone (1630-March 1693) MA from St Andrew University married twice firstly to Margaret Duncan & had two children Robert in 1665 and John in 1668, then he secondly married Isabel Murray and had five children Catherine in 1674 (whom married a Gilbert Kennedy), Patrick in 1674 ( who in 1694 was apprenticed to a barber in Edinburgh), James in 1677, John in 1679 and an unknown child in 1680
    4, Katherine Edmonstone.
    5, Mary Edmonstone.

I hope there is someone who can help me out
    Kind Regards
    Beth

Bearing in mind their attachment to the Kirk, I'm wondering whether John Edmonstoun of Dollar 1576-1578 is relevant?

Have you seen the entry for James in Fasti? It might be worth checking whether the Internet Archive has the text mentioned at the end of his entry.
    If there was a known connection to a landed family, Fasti normally mentioned it.
    Have you looked for family gravestones?