Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Philippa_Harvey

Default 1911 census for Scotland

I now it's not "legal" to ask for lookups for this census and I'm definitely not doing that, but.........

Was there a 1911 census for Scotland? If so, has it been made available through Ancestry?

I've been given a month's subscription and decided to use it to chase up members of my husband's family.

So far I've only been able to find reference to the 1911 census for England and Wales.

Am I chasing something that doesn't exist?

If it's real and there and available, can someone give me a "trick" to include in my search to guarantee a good result please?

I've found a lot of information up to and including 1901, so I'd love to round it off by finding names and ages as shown in the 1911 census.

In hope............

Philippa

Name well known on Brit-Gen

From what I've seen Philippa, you'd need to go to 'Scotlands people' or maybe fmp for 1911 census. Haven't seen it on Ancestry yet.
    Other subscription sites may also have a copy.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Philippa
    I've got an Ancestry sub, so I've just had a look ... and you're right, Scotland's 1911 Census isn't there. Maybe they've not yet got round to transcribing it? Hopefully someone with far more knowledge than I will be able to tell us how to access it ... Please?

Mind you, it wasn't wasted time, there's lots of useful information about 'tee names' & maiden names. I learn something new every day!

Jane

Philippa_Harvey

Damn, Wendy - I was hoping NOT to get that as an answer but feared it would be so.

It would be nice to be able to get at if FOC, but I think those days are disappearing. Most things cost these days so why would the 1911 census be any different? The crazy thing is that I really only have two families in Scotland of interest at that time, everyone else on my own side left in the 1800s and it's only Bill's parent's families who were around then.

Oh well.

Thank you!!!

Philippa

I have on occasion had leftover credits to enable me to help in searches as Sue once did for me, if lucky, perhaps some kind soul will do such for you.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Philippa_Harvey

Jane, in my couple of hours with my "gift" subscription I've filled in huge gaps in my husband's family tree. I have information from 1871 onwards that we didn't have before and each census had a gem to add to the booty. It's been such an incredible adventure and I was looking forward particularly to finding an uncle of OH's we know so little about. I tried chasing this man before on the forum with little or no success, not that people didn't try, I just didn't have enough titbits to feed into the mix to get answers back. He would probably have been born between 1901 and 1911 - but nobody's sure.

I really don't want to pay to access just this one census. As with a lot of people here we have limited "excess" and to branch out into something new means we have to rob Peter to pay Paul. Sounds as though we are destitute doesn't it? Not so, it's just that priorities have a way of getting fixed and it's hard to nudge money away from number 1 to feed number 6, so to speak.

Hopefully someone somewhere will come up with the grand idea of transcribing the version from Scotland and then we can go hammer and tongs and fill those wretched holes!!!

I'm waiting (and like you, saying PLEASE) but I won't hold my breath - blue is such an uncomplimentary complexion colour.

I'll be heading back again tomorrow, though, as I'm sure there are still bits to find and I refuse to miss them. In the meantime I have to clear up and get myself off to the cot for an early night.

Thanks for your interest!!

Philippa

So Philippa, did you try "search all records " on Ancestry just in case a samll chance paid off? Also put you name in general google search in case someone else did also.

Also off to the cot now. ciao.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Philippa_Harvey

Wendy, that would be nice, but I'd feel awfully awful about it if it happened. Some things just have to wait and until such time as the census becomes available on a site I can freely access, these few details can be filed in that particular basket.

Hope you had a good Christmas - are you looking forward to ringing in 2013? I'm looking forward to ringing out 2012, hoping that the next trail run will have goal posts stuck in position all year long!!

Take care.

Philippa

2012-2013 matters not either or. just another year which will bring what it brings, we will greet it on a high or a low depending in what mood we wake up in. I refuse to be bent or bowed to a particular whatsit for a year number.

we did indeed have a lovely, peaceful Christmas thank you, hoping yours was the same. Postus interruptus by phonecall -sorry.
    Must now away.
    ciao.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Philippa_Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    So Philippa, did you try "search all records " on Ancestry just in case a samll chance paid off? Also put you name in general google search in case someone else did also.

Also off to the cot now. ciao.
    Yup, did that. Little bits often do bob up, don't they - adding to the fun of it all.

Might try a BING search for the hell of it too. Who knows?

Sleep well.

P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast