Thread: Sarah Lewis

cshore

Default Sarah Lewis

I am trying to find information on a Sarah Lewis who was a great great grandmother of mine, the last recorded information I am aware of is on the 1891 census in the civil parish of Berriew but believe she may have died between 1898-1901,I have been to the church in the village of Trefeglwys,Powys as this I believe was her birth place but could find no evidence there.I have started to wonder whether she may have been buried in Berriew as this was the last listing on the census before the 1901 which shows her husband as a widow! If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Chris

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have checked the death index between 1891-1901 and there is no Sarah Lewis born about 1853 listed in Montgomeryshire.

There are a few possibilities elsewhere:
    1900 Sarah aged 47 in Pontypridd, Glamorgan
    1900 Sarah aged 47 in Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire

There are other possibilities such as Sarah Ann etc.

The only way to be sure would be to order the death certificates, and you would want to narrow the search by the GRO to those who are listed as the wife of Thomas Lewis.

I have just looked at the 1901 Census where as you say Thomas is listed as Widowed, but he was also living with his children, the youngest of whom, Catherine, was born in 1898 in Llanwnog, Montgomeryshire. Therefore Sarah must have been alive up until this date at the very least.

Reputation beyond repute

In the 1901 census the remaining family were in Llanwnog in the registration district of Newtown.

The National Archives; RG 13/5194 f 75 p 2

Please remeber to include census references.

Llanwnog is also where the youngest daughter was born in 1897

Births Sep 1897
    Lewis Catherine Newtown 11b 168

Therefore check the Newtown registration district for the mother's death.

The likeliest is

Deaths Jun 1899
    Lewis Sarah 40 Newtown 11b 124

The age doesn't doesn't tally but then it's only an index and subject to errors.

It is very easy to get GRO to check the certificate before issue because her status should be shown as "wife of Thomas Lewis"