Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default henry stephen webb from wolverhampton 1877

hi, all im trying too find any information on a henry stephen webb born about 1877 in wolverhampton staffordshire fathers name titus webb mothers name ann webb formerley ann reed

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by kev1965 View Post
    hi, all im trying too find any information on a henry stephen webb born about 1877 in wolverhampton staffordshire fathers name titus webb mothers name ann webb formerley ann reed
    The first step is to obtain his birth certificate:
    Henry Stephen WEBB, Wolverhampton registration district, June quarter 1877, volume 6b, page 599

What else do you know about him and what are you trying to find out?

janbooth

As Jan says, what exactly are you trying to find out? Henry is still in Wolverhampton according to the 1891 census (RG12/2234, folio 82, page 20) when he is living with his widowed mother Ann and his siblings Titus, Hannah, Harriet, Ellen, Albert and Emma at 66 Oxford Street. Henry is described as a General Labourer. There is a death registration on the GRO Index in the March qtr 1888 at Wolverhampton reg district of a Titus WEBB, aged 43. Can't find Henry with any certainty in the 1901 census, but by the 1911 census he is married to a Catherine who is aged 45 born Wolverhampton and a step daughter Catherine WAGG aged 11 born Wolverhampton and a mother in law (presumably) Catherine PALPHREYMAN? who is an Old Age Pensioner and living at 40 Mary Ann Street, Wolverhampton.

According to the GRO Index, there is a marriage in the March qtr 1906 at Wolverhampton reg district of a Henry Stephen WEBB & a Catherine WAGG which fits in very well with the 1911 census which states they have been married for 5 years. There is also a marriage in the GRO in the September qtr 1888 at Wolverhampton reg district of a Catherine PALPHREMAN and one of the other names on the page is that of an Isaac WAGG.

Ancestry also has a World War 1 Pension Record for a Henry Stephen WEBB of the parish of St Luke, Wolverhampton. His Attestation Papers were dated 15 October 1897 when he is shown as aged 20 years old and his occupation a Galvanizer. He served in the 4th Battn, South Staffordshire Regiment. There are several pages which, amongst other information, gives a personal description of Henry, his next of kin being his mother Ann WEBB of Oxford Street, Wolverhampton and information about his marriage to Catherine WAGG. This probably explains why I can't find Henry in the 1901 census.

If you can access Ancestry, perhaps through your local Library if you do not already have a sub, you should be able to take copies of his Army record which is very informative.

Janet

hi, jan dont really know much more about henry but what i really wanted too know was when he died, as you stated i think i,ll try too get the birth cert

absolutely great info thanks janet really appreciate youre time & effort...kev

terrysfamily

I've done a bit of digging and here's another child for Titus and Ann. She wouldn't have shown up on any censuses.

Births Sep 1873 Wolverhampton 6b 500
    Clara Louisa Webb

Deaths Sep 1873, Wolverhampton 6b 265
    Clara Louisa Webb, age 0

Clara WEBB
    Baptism 24 Jun 1873 Dudley Road Bethel Primitive Methodist, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
    Father Titus Mother Ann
    Abode Duncan Street
    Father Occupation Spade and shovel maker
    Register Number 748

Merridale Cemetery: Burials 1850-1879
    Clara Louisa WEBB
    Burial: 3 Oct 1873
    Abode: Duncan Street St. Luke
    Daughter of Titus
    Grave: 9975a

And another couple of things I found on my way. You probably already have them but I'll chuck them in anyway.

Titus WEBB
    Baptism 14 Apr 1846 St Peters, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
    Father Stephen Mother Elizabeth
    Abode Oxford Street
    Father Occupation Spade maker
    Register Number 130587

Marriage 27 Jul 1868 St Luke, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, by Banns
    Groom Titus WEBB, age 23, Bachelor, Plater
    Bride Ann REED, age 22, Spinster
    Groom & Bride both of Bromley Street
    Groom Father Stephen WEBB, Spade and shovel finisher
    Bride Father Thomas REED, Locksmith
    1st Witness George HODSON
    2nd Witness Mary Ann HILL
    Register Number 10158

Terry

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by kev1965 View Post
    hi, jan dont really know much more about henry but what i really wanted too know was when he died
    The Commonwealth War Graves website has 9285 Lance Corporal H.S. Webb, 1st Bn South Staffordshire Regiment dying on 4 October 1917 and buried at Tyne Cot Cemetery. Under 'Awards' it says 'MM' (Military Medal). There's no information on his age or next of kin.

The Soldiers Died in the Great War database gives his full name as Henry Stephen Webb and birthplace as Blakenhall, Staffordshire. This is very near Wolverhampton isn't it? Could this be the same man as the one for whom Janet has found army pension records on Ancestry?

The medal roll index might help. Unfortunately the version on the National Archives website seems to be down at the moment so I can't check.

cheers terry very interesting info i didnt know any of this so its really brought some great stuff out into the light thank you very much ...kev
    Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    I've done a bit of digging and here's another child for Titus and Ann. She wouldn't have shown up on any censuses.

Births Sep 1873 Wolverhampton 6b 500
    Clara Louisa Webb

Deaths Sep 1873, Wolverhampton 6b 265
    Clara Louisa Webb, age 0

Clara WEBB
    Baptism 24 Jun 1873 Dudley Road Bethel Primitive Methodist, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
    Father Titus Mother Ann
    Abode Duncan Street
    Father Occupation Spade and shovel maker
    Register Number 748

Merridale Cemetery: Burials 1850-1879
    Clara Louisa WEBB
    Burial: 3 Oct 1873
    Abode: Duncan Street St. Luke
    Daughter of Titus
    Grave: 9975a

And another couple of things I found on my way. You probably already have them but I'll chuck them in anyway.

Titus WEBB
    Baptism 14 Apr 1846 St Peters, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
    Father Stephen Mother Elizabeth
    Abode Oxford Street
    Father Occupation Spade maker
    Register Number 130587

Marriage 27 Jul 1868 St Luke, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, by Banns
    Groom Titus WEBB, age 23, Bachelor, Plater
    Bride Ann REED, age 22, Spinster
    Groom & Bride both of Bromley Street
    Groom Father Stephen WEBB, Spade and shovel finisher
    Bride Father Thomas REED, Locksmith
    1st Witness George HODSON
    2nd Witness Mary Ann HILL
    Register Number 10158

Terry

hi thanks for taking a look all this sounds very interesting and is information that i havent heard or seen before so im very excited, and yes blakenhall is approx 1 or 2 miles from wolverhampton city centre so its very close i would say yes its 100% the same man that janet found on ancestry i would really appreciate it if you could take a look at the medal roll index when the national archives site is up and running and thanks again youve been brilliant...kev
    Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    The Commonwealth War Graves website has 9285 Lance Corporal H.S. Webb, 1st Bn South Staffordshire Regiment dying on 4 October 1917 and buried at Tyne Cot Cemetery. Under 'Awards' it says 'MM' (Military Medal). There's no information on his age or next of kin.

The Soldiers Died in the Great War database gives his full name as Henry Stephen Webb and birthplace as Blakenhall, Staffordshire. This is very near Wolverhampton isn't it? Could this be the same man as the one for whom Janet has found army pension records on Ancestry?

The medal roll index might help. Unfortunately the version on the National Archives website seems to be down at the moment so I can't check.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

As we do not allow more than one thread per person this other thread about Henry has been closed.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...y-stephen-webb

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”