Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nickwill

Default Pearce of Norfolk

Hi all,

I am after any information I can find on a James Pearce, born in Norfolk around 1841 and his family. He went to sea in 1857 and settled in New Zealand in 1862, where he married a Letitia Lawson in 1863. Here is a newspaper article on him but doesnt give many clues to his past. https://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...4-d113-d3.html. There appear to be several James Pearces born in Norfolk around this time and I am unsure where to turn next. Any information or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Nick

Mutley

My first suggestion is elimination.
    Your James might be on the 1841 census depending on which month of the year he was born (if before 6th June). That is the first step, list all Norfolk born babies named James Pearce in the 1841.

He should be on the 1851, between 10 and 12 years old, hopefully with an agricultural father who maybe an agricultural labourer, a farmer or a land owner. Draw up a short list.
    You can also look at FreeBMD and any births you find there, add to your list. Don't forget to also check for deaths, you may be able to cross off a couple, perhaps because of a middle name or some other clue.

Then look for these fellows in 1861. Any that you find will not be yours and can also be crossed off the list.

It's a long hard trawl. I do not know if you would find any information to help from New Zealand certificates (his marriage?).
    His father's name would help greatly.

Mutley

To start you off..
    Births of a James Pearce from March 1839 - Dec 1843
    Dec 1839 - St Faiths
    Dec 1840 - Downham
    Mar 1841 - Mitford &c
    Dec 1841 - Henstead
    There may be a few more that you pick up on the census or on FamilySearch because not all births were registered at this period in time.
    There are only 4 deaths between March 1839 and Dec 1851 and none are in the districts listed above. (At Docking, James Charles at Norwich and 2 at Forehoe). Sadly ages are not given at this time.

Mutley

There is a James Pearce the son of Thorn (might be Thom, short for Thomas?) and Maria. Thorn was a Carpenter.
    James states throughout all the census he was born Sprowston in 1840 and he died there.
    The registration district for Sprowston was St. Faiths.

Perhaps that is one down....

Copper

I found these baptisms on Free Reg

St Mary with St Margaret, Sprowston
    1839, James son of Thom and Maria Pearce (Thom was a brewer)

St Nicholas, East Dereham
    Born 3 Feb 1841, bpt 7 March 1841, James son of Richard & Elizabeth Pearce of Dereham, Occ: Labourer (Elizabeth's maiden name Walden)

St Mary Magdalen, Mulbarton
    3 July 1843 James son of Charles & Elizabeth Pearce, of Mulbarton, Occ: Blacksmith

St Mary, Southery
    25 Oct 1840 James son of Richard & Elizabeth Pearce of Southery, Occ: Labourer

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have his death certificate? As he died after 1875 it should have the name and surname of father and maiden name of mother (if known) according to NZ BDM online.

Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    I found these baptisms on Free Reg

St Mary with St Margaret, Sprowston
    1839, James son of Thom and Maria Pearce (Thom was a brewer)
    Still with parents in 1861 & 1871

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    St Nicholas, East Dereham
    Born 3 Feb 1841, bpt 7 March 1841, James son of Richard & Elizabeth Pearce of Dereham, Occ: Labourer (Elizabeth's maiden name Walden)
    Appears to be a Boarder and Ag Lab in 1861.

Consider also the spelling PIERCE

Nickwill

Default Thank You

Thanks for all the help, I have now iidentified the correct James. He was born in Downham and his father is I believe Richard Pearce of Southery.

Mutley

Well done. I hope that you have learnt that elimination is just as important as a 'finding'.
    A 'finding' though, is much more

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Nick I see your post is a few years old but Hey, My family married into Norfolk Pearce Pearse and Peirce familys a lot and we have a few James'es but none that line up there was one in 1861 who cant be accounted for. Have you got any DNA testing done, I do get unexplained Slight matches in NZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast